Tester89

2 different long filenames considered equal

I am running 4.5.6.6059 and have 2 files, with names of different length which CDBurner complains about being duplicates.

One is 119 chars (minus extension) the other is 116 chars long (minus extension) .

The names ARE the same for the first 116 chars and do have the same extension

The 'shortening' part I understand, but I was under the impression, that even 119 was below the max file name limit - for all CD/DVD formats.

Am I wrong?

How does CDBurner decide on the actual file name limit

It seems that within CDBurner the 'problem' is discovered when I fist add the files to the compilation.

So I would expect, the the app will automatically select the best available format - or advise me if

that is not possible with an meaningful message.

Assuming thus that the UDF format would have been selected, I still see a number of questions/issue:

1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

UDF 255 bytes Any Unicode except NUL 1,023 bytes[z]

seems to tell me that the max UDF file name length is 255 ??

Which is also the limit for a NTFS file name length.

Where does 127 come from? is this a limit within the app? If so, why?

2) unfortunately, the full name of the offending file is not visible, so if I have several files with 'problem' names

and whose base name is more than ~ 45 chars, I'll have to guess just which files are causing issues

3) if I want to use CCDBurner to backup my data, the current options

•  - replace
  • - replace if changed
  • - don't replace -- I have to presume that this file will be omitted form the compilation

really are not helpful, because all options will have me lose a file/data.

If the file name length is an issue, can an option allow the user to modify the file names? Within the limits of the format.

In this case, one really would need to modify the file name on the source, because otherwise the problem will persist.

Thank you, the light just came on.

The wiki articles gives the NTFS filename limit as 255 characters and the corresponding UDF limit as 256 bytes!

So I can have perfectly legal NTFS file names and no way to really back them up <_<

And an even bigger mess with paths and path components, yikes, what a mess:(