YetAnotherDave

[C] Problem burning gapless from FLAC

I've been using CDBurnerXP for a few years, and generally find it very good. However, if I burn from FLAC files and clear the "A pause for n seconds between all tracks" option to burn gapless, then each track has a sort of "false start" - a fraction of a second from the start of the track, then a brief silence, and then the track starts properly.

If I leave the box checked, I can burn from FLAC with no problems, and if I convert to WAV first, I can burn gapless with no problems. I have checked that I have the latest version of the FLAC codec. I reverted to an earlier version of CDBurnerXP, but had the same problem.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, the drive is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N.

It sounds a bit strange to me that you would be able to burn WAV files fine. CDBurnerXP is in fact also converting the FLAC files to WAV first, independently of the "paus" settings. Maybe you can check if the WAV files generated by CDBurnerXPX inside the %temp% folder are playing properly on their own to narrow down the cause of the issue?

Thanks for responding floele, and sorry for my own slow response - the reply notification went into my spam folders, I've only just found it.

Something I don't understand is happening. If I create an audio CD project, add FLAC (or MP3) files to it, and burn, the TempRips folder is being created within my %temp%, but no files are written to it - yet the CD is stil burned!

It should create folders inside this location and then put the files into the subfolders. No subfolders appearing either? Shouldn't be able to burn then.

Yes, that's the part that doesn't make sense to me.
Sometimes folders and files appear in TempRips, sometimes they don't. I've noticed that in the situation when they don't, when the progress bars for conversion from FLAC to WAV appear, they complete almost instantly - as if I had added WAV files instead - and the CD still burns. It's almost as if the converted files were being cached somewhere.
I have been trying to burn the same files repeatedly, so I guess it could also be that a disc image is being cached rather than individual files - is that possible?

Actually, I don't think it can be cacheing, because I've just tried some new FLAC files that I definitely have never tried to burn before, and the same thing has happened - apparent "instant conversion", no files/folders within TempRips, and yet the disc burns! Very strange.

I'm burning to CD-RW, in case that makes any difference.

I think I may have solved the problem!

I had the Xiph.org DirectShow filter for FLAC installed - is it possible that this could somehow cause CDBurnerXP to see the FLAC as WAV, and decide it doesn't need converting - but then when it comes to actually burning, have a problem? Sorry if that's a stupid question, audio conversion / rendering is not my area :wink: !

I uninstalled the DirectShow filters (which I think I only had installed for the benefit of Windows Media Player), restarted CDBurnerXP, created a new audio disc and added the same files I did previously. This time, they were converted to WAV files in folders under TempRips, the disc has burned, and the brief "glitch" at the start of each track is gone :-)

Uninstalling the filters means I've lost the ability to play FLAC from WMP, but I can live with that - burning from FLAC is much more important to me.

Yes, that would actually make sense. I think for the future I will just force FLAC files being converted to prevent such issues, because the conversion CDBurnerXP does on its own is quite reliable.