CDBurnerXP adds 4 KB when writing an ISO file [solved]

Hello, here is the reproducible symptom I am observing:

- Take an ISO file.

- I tried with both gparted-live-0.26.1-3-amd64.iso on SourceForge which is 278 921 216 bytes long
and void-live-x86_64-20160420-mate.iso which is 638 582 784 bytes long.

- Burn it to a CD, using 'Burn an ISO image". In my case, I am using a Verbatim CD-RW 700 MB, 8x-12x as target, so there is an erase first. And my DVD burner is an internal ASUS DRW-24B3ST (said compatible on your website, I checked to make sure).

- Then read the CD to an ISO image file, with a different name, using "Copy disk".

- Look at the size of the image file = it has 4096 bytes more !!

- So with the above examples, the gparted re-read image is 278 925 312 bytes long, and the void linux one is 638 586 880 bytes long.

- Comparing the original ISO with the re-read one using vbindiff, I can see that 4096 0's have been added at the end in both cases.

Why so ??

Note: if I burn the ISO files using Nero, there is no such problem, The re-read ISO image are perfectly identical with original ones in length and in contents.

I cannot answer this question since I am not the author of the burning library. I don't really think that it matters though. Some additional NULL data shouldn't matter when written nor read from disc.

Hello, thank you for your answer.

I confirm that the same symptom can be observed with StarBurn 15.5. I will ask there ...

This matters when one wants to verify that burned image is similar to source, or to verify which one has been burned, using things like MD5SUM. Indeed 4 KB additional 0's modifies the hash result.

• erwin34 changed the title to CDBurnerXP adds 4 KB when writing an ISO file [solved]

Hello, an update on this bug.

I signalled it to StarBurn people. They took it and fixed it in 15.7. See here http://www.starburnsoftware.com/forum/post13732.html?sid=5cea80cd8ff222d06e7bf727987b3fed#p13732

You will then have to incorporate that new version to benefit from it.

Btw, it would be useful if you could expose what CDBurnerXP adds to its StarBurn core ? It is not obvious at first sight.

Cheers, erwin34.

You will then have to incorporate that new version to benefit from it.

Should already be part of CDBurnerXP.

On 23.4.2017 at 3:47 PM, erwin34 said:

what CDBurnerXP adds to its StarBurn core ?

Except for a GUI nothing at all I'd say?