Sign in to follow this  
bmaamba

dvd+rw has to be formatted for 1st use?

Winxp sp3 on Gigabyte MB-G41m-es2l . Pioneer blu-ray burner (Fw-1.3) 209EBK(if i remember correctly). My friend has given me a spindle of 10 Moser baer DVD+RW discs. I was trying to see if I can replace a Linux distn./live cd (musix), which i use to play mp3's (burnt on a cd along with musix) on an old MB- 5sva-e (32 MB ram, no hard disks, no monitor, no mouse).Tried osnofian - did not work. ( i want the live cd to boot up and search/mount the usb pendrive and play the mp3's from there).Tried latest slitaz-unsuccessful.Tried plop bootcd iso-it did not boot (DVD+RW).

So i burnt (with cdburnerxp) the osnofian linux iso or maybe the Plop iso on the RW. The burn was successful. But the resulting dvd could not be read again. This DVD+RW also cannot be erased- used cdburnerxp,nero 6.6,imageburn,cdrecord gui (called FRTE or something to that effect)- i tried all modes.

I have burnt other (same) 3-4 DVD+RW- always first on imageburn. Imgburn always formats the DVD+RW first (which cdburnerxp did not do on that dvd+rw). Then the DVD+rw can be erased and re-burned.

Has anyone experienced this or what i am saying is incorrect/wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by bmaamba
Typed dvd-rw instead of dvd+rw a few times.

Corrections/complete info. to my 1st post; 1. cdburnerxp- v4.5.6. (5844) 2. Moser Baer DVD+RW pro. 3. cdrtfe - thought that as cdrecord commandline is a powerful utility, its gui would be able to erase the disc. 4. Imgburn takes about 16 minutes to format(erase)
(1st time only) the Dvd-rw at 4x speed- while "formatting", the words useds by imgburn are "erasing disc". 5. "Tried plop bootcd iso-it did not boot (DVD+RW) "- Plop booted but did not boot the usb pen drive.

Thanks Floele. It's a DVD+RW.
Solved it.
Main Questions in my above post,  which i should have spelled out clearly: 1. If a brand new DVD+RW is put inside a burner, does cdburnerxp recognise it as a DVD+RW, then proceeds to format it first before burning anything (iso's) on it (which i assume is the correct procedure)?
2. Is my above assumption wrong?

Read this on isobuster website :

"............The big exception to all the above is DVD+RW (DVD plus RW). The designers of the format were clever enough to decide that there shouldn't be an erase function for this format at all. After all a full erase only adds to the so called DOW (Disc Over-Write) and thus reduces the quality of the media. If a full erase is truly required by the user then the application software can still simply write a neutral pattern over the complete surface of the disc with the same effect. And as a DVD+RW can have only one track in one session, changing the inner circle structures is not needed either. If there is a track already... well then there is a track already... why change that? If one wants to write new content then the old data can simply be overwritten. Of course this also positively influences background format and other features I won't go in to now. In other words there is no erase command that an
application can send.

If a user wants to quick erase a DVD+RW then the application software must be clever enough to simply write some neutral data over file-system structures (e.g. ISO9660 and UDF etc). And in fact that's what most applications do when they quick erase a DVD+RW.

The consequence is that for a DVD drive there still is a track after a quick erase, so this is not blank media, and if there is a track with a length then application software, such as IsoBuster, can send read commands and get data back. And a scan for missing data can yield to positive results.

Same as with DVD-RW there is a big exception. The reason is that in the beginning not all drive manufacturers understood the philosophy and spirit of the well thought out "no erase command" principle. So what they did was make sure that a format command basically does what an erase command did and then they informed all software vendors, which were obviously confused, that they should send a format command instead of a blank command. Wrong...

To the best of my knowledge most drive vendors today have adopted the "no erase" +RW philosophy properly and recently developed drives don't erase anymore, even not when a format command is sent. The same goes for the software vendors, they too saw the light.
However... it's hard to change the world and exceptions still exist out there."

My limited understanding of above is that there is/was some confusion w.r.t. DVD+RW (by software developers/hardware manufacturers).

After reading on another forum (old post) about  a guy using  alcohol 120 to erase the dvd+rw, i decided to try that.

Upgraded aspi driver to 4.71 from 4.6 (aspi_471a2.exe from adaptec website) - this step may not be required if your drivers are v4.6 (if these steps do not work for win 7 users because of lack of adaptec drivers, one can try frogaspi - http://wp.xin.at/archives/829).

Downloaded Alcohol 120 Trial-1.9.7 (build 6221). Made image of c drive.
Alcohol 120 install - Declined to install toolbar/crapware. 
Used Erase wizard-full mode-Ignore illegal TOC- Reset Booktype option. Erasing finished within 1-2 minutes.
Erase was successful (Imgburn says Disc needs formatting). Now Imgburn (2.5.8.0) says (with the problematic disc):

PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-209M 1.30 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+RW

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: Yes
Formatted: No (Started)
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2,295,104
Size: 4,700,372,992 bytes
Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
MID: MBIPG101-W04-00
Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x

TOC Information:
Session 1... (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01  (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2295103)
-> LeadOut  (LBA: 2295104)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: MBIPG101-W04-00
Book Type: DVD+RW
Part Version: 2
Disc Size: 120 mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: MBIPG101-W04-00
Book Type: DVD+RW
Part Version: 2
Disc Size: 120 mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,863
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Format Capacities:
DT: 0x02 - NB: 2295104 (0x00230540) - TDP: 2048
FT: 0x26 - NB: 2295104 (0x00230540) - TDP: 0

Performance (Write Speed):
Descriptor 1...
-> B0: 0x00, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> EL: 2295103 (0x0023053F)
-> RS: 3,324 KB/s (2.4x) - WS: 3,324 KB/s (2.4x)
Descriptor 2...
-> B0: 0x00, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> EL: 2295103 (0x0023053F)
-> RS: 5,540 KB/s (4x) - WS: 5,540 KB/s (4x)

Have formatted/erased  the above disc and burned an iso.