JvH

CDBurner XP contains malware????

I use CDBXP for many years, but recently I get a warning from Eset Internet Security that the installation program (not the program itself) contains malware (2!):

Logboek
D:\voor installatie e.d\cdbxp_setup_4.5.7.6452.exe = INNO = {tmp}\Fusion.dll - een variant van Win32/FusionCore.I potentieel ongewenste toepassing - geselecteerde actie uitgesteld tot scan voltooid is
Logboek
D:\voor installatie e.d\cdbxp_setup_4.5.7.6452.exe = INNO - een variant van Win32/FusionCore.I potentieel ongewenste toepassing - geselecteerde actie uitgesteld tot scan voltooid is

I hope you understand the Dutch part, the names of the found malware are clear.

I tried to ask Eset if this is a false possitive, but their reporting program is failing. Therefore I am warning you.

Maybe you can solve this? Or contact Eset?

Nobody interested? 

Any reaction?

Silence might mean that Eset is right . . . . . . .

That would be a shame, a fine program is corrupted by malware

As far as I can see, it warns about PUA (potentially unwanted applications), which is not unexpected if you use the default installer. It's not talking about malware.

There isn't even a problem. Please, if you are annoyed with your antivirus applications, contact the respective software developers, not me.

WHY should we trust you?

Shouting you are trustworthy is not convincing. Somebody independed might be mistaking, but nevertheless I trust a independed orginasation more.....

And Eset has a pretty good reputation.

And trusting or not is my decision, not yours!

But if reacting crossed is all you can do . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

JvH, someone is paying the bills for making this application available, and it's not you or I who are downloading it for free.  Advertisements can be necessary evil for making "free" software available, unless one happens to be independently wealthy by other means.  Advertisements are considered evil by many users (and justifiably so in many cases), and anti-virus programs voluntarily flag such advertisement-carrying applications as "potentially unwanted software".  Not "virus" or malware.

It's covered in the FAQ, and even in the pinned topic that says "things to read before posting a question".  If admin's responses are terse, its likely due to the amount of times users dump in here without reading or acknowledging the known situation first.

There is an installer available which doesn't have advertisements.  CDBurnerXP makes it available even though its against their financial interests.  But if being identified as "potentially unwanted software" is something you're not comfortable with, using the non-advertisement installation package is probably what you seek.  Or maybe not, since it's harder to complain about.

-Alan

Not PUP, actually flagged as suspicious software and I'm sorry but I trust MB much more than you as I don't know shit about XP Burner project even using it for years 'till now!

I like to think this is just a loose on XP Burner code for using old dependencies or alike, but is still good to instigate developers to try solving it, common users ain't gonna give a damn about your software if it's flagged by their AV on these caotic days we're in.

Cheers,

Mateus M. Côrtes

image.png