Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chuck M

Bootable XP SP2 CD ... (not ISO) ... please verify settings

Guest Chuck M

Greetings!

I like your software. I am trying to make a bootable XP Pro SP2 slipstreamed CD. I read the post on doing so using an ISO image, and I went to that site and read how to do so. I would still prefer to do it as a bootable data CD, and I think I have succeeded (I will know in about 30 to 60 minutes after the install is complete). There are some questions your help file does not address, so that is why I am asking (both for myself and others who might want to know). Here are my questions:

On the boot options. I disabled the ISO File Delimiters (;1). Was that correct?

(Not discussed in Help File.)

Is Joliet the best choice, since this is a Microsoft CD?

Thank you in advance for your consideration, and thank you for the program! :)

Guest Chuck M

Thank you, Flo. Yes, I did read that info first (I did write that in my message), and I STILL want to know the answers to my questions. If you want to know, one reason I don't want to use nLite is that I don't want .NET on my PC, but you have to install that in order to use nLite. And I do want to make the CD without going to ISO first, and I want to understand the program settings better.

If you can answer my original questions, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thank you again,

Chuck M.

Is Joliet the best choice, since this is a Microsoft CD?

Well, I don't know what ISO file delimiters are (goggle does not seem to reveal much info about that too ;) ), but I would recommend Joliet not because it is Microsoft, but because it allows the longest filenames.

Guest Chuck M

Thank you again, Flo.

I figured Joiet was the best choice, but I wasn't certain. On the File Delimiters, I chose to put a check mark in the dialog to disable them. And for everyone's info, the CD I created this way (from an XP Pro folder, slipstreamed with the network SP2, and with the Boot Image off the XP Pro CD), did boot up fine, did let me run the Recovery Console, and did let me do a repair installation of XP Pro. I am still having problems, but it's not because of the CD.

BTW, I had already created two ISO images that also ended up working (I did that before I tried creating the CD from data), but I ended up with the same frustrating problem that I still have with the data CD (I had used Autostreamer to create the ISO, rather than nLite). And the problem I have which was the reason I wanted to create the XP Pro SP2 disk both ways (from data in addition to from an ISO image) is the infamous black screen white mouse cursor after booting, no matter which mode I start in. (I am not asking for comments on that in this forum.)

But for the record, the best choices in CD Burner XP Pro 3 were Joliet, and to disable the File Delimiters (on the Boot Settings Screen) by putting the check mark in there, and also removing the check mark which enforces ISO Level 1. The other settings on the boot settings section were to select your boot image, choose "No emulation" for the emulation type, and to set the sectors to 4. With those settings that way I created a valid XP Pro SP2 boot CD from data instead of from an ISO image file.

I hope what I learned benefits someone else.

And many thanks to the creator of CD Burner XP Pro! :)

Chuck M.