Sign in to follow this  
Guest unsolicited

Plextor 708UF writing error

Guest unsolicited

Plextor 708uf (ext. usb2/fw DVD +/- R/RW- latest firmware) connected to P233/256 (yes, it's ok) on Win 2000 Pro SP4 (latest, anyways). TDK DVD+R. cdbxp latest.

Burned almost 4GB and got error.

Different computer / different compilation also got error with Roxio, but it's so useless there were no error details. (But appears to burn my wife's CDRs OK there - haven't tried here.)

>>>>>

CDBurnerXP Pro 3 - Critical

Writing Error: (3) Error closing DVD+R Track

An incompatible parameter field was sent to the drive (1023).

Error Sense Data: SENSE KEY: 5 ASC: 26 ASCQ: 0

<<<<<

What does this mean / how do I interpret it? e.g. closing failure, what, how, huh?

Web search revealed one hit for same error / different software. I don't think it's software, but how can I go about things?

Seems to read OK on original drive, but different drive won't even load it.

Can I expect this to continue with each DVD burn?

Is there a log file or further info. I can dig up?

Seems to me I saw somewhere a recommendation as to disc repair software - could someone remind me of what it was please?

Any suggestions or ideas as to how I should proceed?

TIA

What does this mean / how do I interpret it? e.g. closing failure, what, how, huh?

Disc repair? Is the data you burned that important? I guess you better try burning again with a different medium.

You're being serious, right?

> Well, it is a writing error and I don't think it will help much when interpreting it correctly.

You would be wrong.

Suppose it's simply a closing error. Closing it properly may 'complete' the disc for all I know.

On the other hand, if 90% of the data is correct, and a fair chunk of it is, then making that chunk useful (by closing?), is that much of 4.7 GB I don't need to write again.

> I guess you better try burning again with a different medium.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

>Disc repair? Is the data you burned that important?

That comes across as a silly, useless response.

Until I know the nature of the error, I cannot tell whether this is going to repeat itself, let alone why, whether or not this writer is ever going to work for me, and/or what I might be able to do about it.

If you know of some (repair?) software that can look at a disc and evaluate it, please let me know.

Until I know the nature of the error, I cannot tell whether this is going to repeat itself, let alone why, whether or not this writer is ever going to work for me, and/or what I might be able to do about it.

At first you should try additional software like burnatonce, DeepBurner and Nero (if you like),

and if these programs don't work too, you can suggest that the error is causes by your drive. Aslo, if you use Win98/ME, you should try to (re-)install ASPI drivers.

If you know of some (repair?) software that can look at a disc and evaluate it, please let me know.

www.isobuster.com

Thanks kindly, this is really good info.

Um. Duh. I'll go back to the drive manufacturer too.

Thanks again.