Nope. Maybe it has more features, but it uses the IE engine. That's its only problem :roll:

However, I also link the page-rendering of FF more than of the IE (addons), it is more smooth.

I think with the right extensions, Firefox has many more features than Maxthon/My IE2.

With TBE, Foxytunes, Weatherfox, All in One Gestures and NeedleSearch, you can do practically anything with it. Also, it has the ability to drag Favorites/Bookmarks right to the browser to open them which Maxthon doesn't. And yes, it doesn't use Active X or the IE engine. IMHO it's just better.

Rog

You mean less dangerous?

But yes, I'd have to agree

How can you say that Maxthon is better if you never tried Firefox? Firefox is simply the BEST you can get at the moment. No IE addon can ever be better than Firefox until Longhorn is released because before that time IE engine wont improve and currently it is crap.

Well, I did not try Maxthon, but was a long-time Avant-user before Firefox.

Avant really was an improvmement to IE (and I think Maxthon also is), but it does not fix the problems IE has, like security and especially incorrect implementation of Web Standards.

Also Firefox gives me features that Avant does not offer, ie. a WebDeveloper toolbar :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lukey

Anybody else having problems with Firefox 1.0 crashing/locking up? I've had this happen on two different computers I've installed it on. It seems like they just re-released 0.9 with a ton of new bugs. Back to Mozilla 1.7.3 for me...at least it doesn't lock up after 5 minutes of browsing.

Maybe it helps if you completly remove your profile of firefox 0.9. And old profile might cause problems. Then reinstall Firefox (alos remove old program folder before so make sure it is a clean install). Ver 1.0 is defenitely more stable than 0.9.

Next year you can switch to Netscape Navigator.

Because Netscape realized they couldn't compete with Firefox, even packaged with AOL, Netscape's beta browser now has Mozilla in it's core.

Microsoft is also considering using Mozilla, but due to popular opinion about either or both Microsoft's privacy and security, I think people will go to Netscape.

The browser itself will have many "bells and wistles" in it.

I'm sure a dictionary/thesuras/encyclopedia/spell checker along with the usual E-mail launch and newsgroup viewer will be part of it.

ZDNet has the story.

I'm switching to Firefox in the meantime.

Netscape includes ActiveX with whitelist/blacklist abilities.

Next year you can switch to Netscape Navigator.

Why that? I doubt that the Netscape browser will be better at any time than Firefox (no matter if it is based on FF or not). I saw some screenshots and I really don't like the interace (not to speak of probably unnecessary features).

However, I am not against that new Netsacape browser, because if it is a success, the Firefox engine will be spreaded even more ;)

Because Netscape realized they couldn't compete with Firefox, even packaged with AOL,

Netscape packaged with AOL? As far as I know, and I am pretty sure, AOL currently uses Internet Explorer by default.

Microsoft is also considering using Mozilla, but due to popular opinion about either or both Microsoft's privacy and security, I think people will go to Netscape.

Could you give me an URL where you read that? I can hardly imgaine that M$ will even think about using Mozilla for a new browser.

The browser itself will have many "bells and wistles" in it.

I'm sure a dictionary/thesuras/encyclopedia/spell checker along with the usual E-mail launch and newsgroup viewer will be part of it.

Features I won't need ;)

The customizeable quick-search of FF is just fine :)

Netscape includes ActiveX with whitelist/blacklist abilities.

For me, another reason not to use Netscape. I really don't need any activeX, and it is always better not to have it.

Guest Lukey

Maybe it helps if you completly remove your profile of firefox 0.9. And old profile might cause problems. Then reinstall Firefox (alos remove old program folder before so make sure it is a clean install). Ver 1.0 is defenitely more stable than 0.9.

Actually on my laptop I had just done a fresh install of Win2K and installed Firefox 1.0 right off the bat. I still had the same locking up problems. Firefox 1.0 runs fine on my Linux box (no crashing or freezing yet), but my second windows box (for gaming) still has the same crashing/locking up issues. No biggie though, I'll just use Mozilla for the time being on my 'doze boxes.

Actually on my laptop I had just done a fresh install of Win2K and installed Firefox 1.0 right off the bat. I still had the same locking up problems. Firefox 1.0 runs fine on my Linux box (no crashing or freezing yet), but my second windows box (for gaming) still has the same crashing/locking up issues. No biggie though, I'll just use Mozilla for the time being on my 'doze boxes.

Hm, that's very strange. I did not hear of such problems yet. Maybe it is a bug which will be fixed soon - you could try to report it (using Trackback if possible).

Yep, I know about that. But where did you read that MS considers using Mozilla?

Sorry, my bad.

Longhorn Component to Spur Old-School Viruses?

Microsoft says the scripting platform, called Shell, is not final.

Paul Roberts, IDG News Service

Monday, October 04, 2004

A planned component for Microsoft's next version of Windows is causing consternation among antivirus experts, who say that the new module, a scripting platform called Microsoft Shell, could give birth to a whole new generation of viruses and remotely exploitable attacks.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,118045,00.asp