Sign in to follow this  
rosemad

Shuffling?

Do you know how I can rearrange the list of songs before I burn my CD? They all come up in alphabetical order, no matter how they are arranged in the folder.

Ta and cheers.

:?

I have looked through both the index and contents in helpfile and I can't seem to find anything related to organising or ordering of files. Can you tell me where it would be listed, please?

Ta and cheers.

I finally got into the online helpfile you gave the link for and followed the instructions about holding down the mouse to move tracks in the compilation. It doesn't work. All that happens is a copy is made of the track, but the original track stays in the same position., and the copies then are arranged in alpahabetical order as well! The instructions mention something about using the context menu. I don't know what this means because I can't find anything like that in the drop down menus along the top.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

:?

O.K.! I finally figured out that moving of tracks is only available when making an audio CD, NOT when making a CD for MP3's, which of course is a data CD. Ooops. Oh, well, maybe an idea for the next version?

Thanks for all your help and I apologise for being such a dummy!

Guest chuck

In usual practice, the operating system writes a file and then records the access data in the next available slot in the directory of the (logical) drive. As files are deleted, slots open up for the next new file. This makes the directory order fairly arbitrary. When one lists the files in the folder or with, say, Windows Explorer, one can order the list by name, date of creation, size, and, perhaps, other criteria. Therefore, it is normally inconsequential in what order files are recorded in the directory.

I don't really understand why one would want to create a data CD with files in a certain order, since one would likely use a computer to access data files on the CD. However, if the order is truly vital, prefixing the names with "01-", "02-", etc., is a workabout.

Guest Chris Crespo (Shuhadaku)

I would like to point out that I had a Durabrand MP3/CD player from Walmart, and it always seemed to play the tracks in weird orders, until I figured out it played them in the order they were burned.

Would this have anything to do with the order the F.A.T. is constructed during the burn process?

Flo,

My CD player is a bit on the wonky side and the random play option doesn't work very well. Time to buy a new one, I suppose.

Cheers and Ta.

Chuck,

The files I am trying to sort are music files, not data files. I really would like the tracks in a random order so that I don't get 8 or 10 tracks from the same artist one after another. And you're right....adding 01, 02 etc. would be a big pain in the you know where!

Thanks anyway. :)