Sign in to follow this  
Greasygrunt

CD burning error, NO MEDIA INSERTED

I have been using Easy CD Creator for about 1 year. One other time I had the same problem I am having now but I don't remember how I fixed it. I consulted someone with more knowledge than I (wasn't hard to find!) and they suggested uninstalling EasyCD and installing CDBXP. I did this and was able to burn one CD. Now when I try to burn a CD (of any media) I get the same message as before: No media inserted in the selected device. Please insert a recordable media and try again. Also, my PC will not "Restart" when that option is selected from the START menu. I am running XP HOME on a 1.4 Ghz AMD processor with 512 M RAM. All this happened at the same time a couple of weeks ago and when I rebooted at that time a little yellow info "cloud" came up at the bottom right of my desktop saying that a device (my cd RW) had been disabled because of a driver conflict with XP. Since that time I have not been able to burn a CD nor have I been able to shut down Windows from the START menu. I know this is more than just a CDBXP problem but I need help. If I can get my PC back to burning again ( I use it to back up data such as DOCs,Pictures, video,etc) I will only use CDBXP. Thanks.

At least you offered a detailed description I can work with :)

Well, at first I would try to completely remove the current installed driver.

To do that, rightclick on "My PC" -> Properties->Hardware->Device Manager->DVD/CD drives->rightclick on your not-working drive->uninstall.

Then restart your PC and watch what happens. If Windows tries to reinstall the drive after reboot and gets a driver conflict again, try to obtain a new driver by using Windows Update. If that does not help, which is very likely, check if your drive is really working (maybe it is out of order and thus can't work properly) by using it in another PC if possible. Also check your cable connections ;)

Another thing you can try is to get a new driver from the homepage of your drive's vendor.

Additionally you can also try to install SP2 for XP if you did not do that already.

What I did not make clear in my first message is that since I am unable to reboot from the start menu, when I try to install Service Pack 2 it does not take since it requires rebooting. If I do a manual shutdown with my large button on the front of the PC then the SP2 install does not take when the PC does a cold boot. I have gone into SYSTEM and found that it shows only SP1 being installed. I have installed something recently that is causing these problems, the worst of which is not being able to burn CD's, and I have tried to do the restore where you can go back to a certain date and restore your PC to the configuration on that date but you must be able to reboot for this to take. Thanks for the quick reply. :|

What exectly does it mean that you can't reboot from startmenu? You can select this option but it simply does not restart then? Maybe you got some malicious software on your PC which is causing this. In this case you can try to remove it by using an anti-virus (avast/antivir) or Adaware to remove spy- and adware.

What exectly does it mean that you can't reboot from startmenu? You can select this option but it simply does not restart then? Maybe you got some malicious software on your PC which is causing this. In this case you can try to remove it by using an anti-virus (avast/antivir) or Adaware to remove spy- and adware.

Jesus that really helped alot! :roll: :x

Listen, he gave you a detailed problem (and what the hell was that supposed to mean "At least you gave a detailed description?" I did too) and you essentially told him "Fix it your own damn self!"

Your just too lazy to get your ass moving on this and actually helping for once. :x

"Maybe you have a virus you can scan for."

"MAYBE", "YOU CAN"

Can't you say anything else?!

Maybe you can download the same program and test it out YOURSELF! :x :x

I did too) and you essentially told him "Fix it your own damn self!"

I only said that because many don't or give a "detailed" description, or the description does not give me an idea where the problem could be. If you are the one I think, then your description was the latter. A bit confusing so I stopped asking any more questions because I expected a particular reaction.

"Maybe you have a virus you can scan for."

"MAYBE", "YOU CAN"

Can't you say anything else?!

Yes, I can. Send me your PC and I will check it out :P

Flo,

I am so sorry you received all the flack over my question. I thank you for trying to help. When I said I couldn't reboot from the start menu, what I meant was that when I click on START and select TURN OFF COMPUTER and then RESTART, my computer goes through the motions like it is shutting down. When it gets to the blue screen (XP) and says Windows is shutting down, it never goes any further. At that point it is locked up and I have to press the large OFF button on the front of my PC and hold it in for several seconds before my PC will shut down. When I do it this way, any changes I have made in that session do not take effect. This problem and the CD burner not working as described above came about at the same time. Thanks.

So did you try using Antivirus and Anti-malware programs? If not, do so.

Did you also try to wait a bit (longer) for correct shutdown? A reson for a longer shutdown could be a page-file deletion (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;e ... 73&sid=156). I doubt that this is the reason, but it could be.

My suggestion is, if all that above failed, to set up a new system, at least that is what I would do if I don't know any other way to fix that problem. A failing shutdown every time is a quite serious (at least very annyoing) problem to my eye. Running a "system optimizer" can also help, for example TuneUp Utilities (you can use a trial version), which can remove unnecessary files and (invalid) registry entries. Worth a try.

Guest Guest from Cali

Sucks because I'm having the same problem. I'm using a Memorex DVD/R with a Pioneer DVD R/RW. burner. I've also tried a TDK DVD/R (4.7 GB). My computer is fully free of any adaware or spyware.

Can't expect a whole lot out of free utilities. You will always get the run around of this this or that is not supported.

:shock::( :x :cry::( :x :shock:

Jesus that really helped alot!

Nice start.

Listen, he gave you a detailed problem (and what the hell was that supposed to mean "At least you gave a detailed description?" I did too) and you essentially told him "Fix it your own damn self!"

Anyone is welcome to ship their computer to me, in the US, with sufficient return postage funds, and I will gladly troubleshoot the problem firsthand, free of charge.

Your just too lazy to get your ass moving on this and actually helping for once.

Great finish. What exactly do you want from free support for free software????