Sign in to follow this  
Guest joelholio

McAfee is telling me that cdburnerxp.exe has a spyware ocx??

Guest joelholio

The exact message is ' The file AS-IFcd1.ocx is loaded into cdbxp.exe 3.0.116.0930 and has been detected as a component of the Spyware/Adware program Spyware Nuker.'

What's up with that?

I'd like to hear the answer on this one too. I just downloaded this program to give it a try, but I now hesitate to install it. Free programs that are provided free due to the developer's kindness are great, and I tend to send donations when good programs like this are found. But a "free" program infested with spyware is nowhere near free. Something to avoid at all costs. I'm hoping this turns out to be a false positive from McAfee. I also hope the original poster of this thread will report back if they find this to be a false hit, or others who use and know the program will confirm or deny that spyware is included.

Thanks. I'm really hoping to give this program a try. It looks good. But I will wait a before installinl ...

Guest joelholio

I was impressed with how well the software works and made a donation! That's why I'm a little put out about the hint that it could be spyware!

So far I give you the following info: CDBurnerXP Pro does neither contain spyware nor adware.

Thank you for the reply Flo. I have seen your posts here and obviously you are quite active. I did read through the forums a bit before posting, but I did not specifically search for spyware related topics. I too use Spybot S&D, AdAware, HijackThis and other programs to keep my computers clean. I prefer to never install any spyware in the first place instead of removing it later, after installation. I searched Google for spyware reports on CDburnerXpPro before posting here. I found nothing. So it's not like I didn't even look on my own. However, this spyware topic is right at the top of one of the forums, standing out there slapping you in the face, and it warrants investigation. At least I think so. Posting here was part of my investigation. At this point most of my fears have been quieted. Thanks for replying.

Guest joelholio

question that I posted here. There are dozens of cd burning tools out there, and to my knowledge, this is the only one that uses this ocx, so, while I like the software, have not had my question resolved. Regarding Flo's inference that I didn't research before I posted - I searched here for a hit on the ocx in question & Googled - I repeat, there is NO adequate explanation of why this ocx is used. My goal was not to make a big deal out of this, just get an intelligent answer to what I feel is a legitimate concern.

This ocx has nothing to do with the burning it's used for the GUI, it seems like the anti spyware programs has some bugs to... =)). And as we have said many times before there is no spyware or will never be in CDBurnerXP Pro.

//Stefan

Regarding Flo's inference that I didn't research before I posted -

Where did you read that? I _never_ said that you didn't do any research before asking that question :-P

I do understand the conserns about getting reports of spyware the decision you have to make is wether you trust us or the anti-spyware program. I can only say whats already been said..the ocx mentioned is used for the GUI of CDBXP. This file won't be used in next versions so if you feel to uncomfortable right now wait for ver 3.5 and repeat the search for spyware then.

Thanks again for the replies Flo, Stefan, and Fredrik. I am "Guest" from above. I figured it might be premature to register on these forums before I had even installed the software! After seeing your responses, I will install tonight.

Fredrik - Thanks for understanding the spyware problem us users face.

I hope you developers didn't misinterpret my statment "I'd like to hear the answer to this one too." as being an accusation that your software contains spyware. I did not intend that. But with all the junk floating around these days you have to be pretty careful before installing ANY program. I always check everything out as best I can BEFORE installing. This includes scanning dedicated forums if I can find them, and doing Google searches. It's already too late if you've installed, and THEN find out Spybot or AdAware detects Cool Web Search or some other such nasty.

Now I'm just hoping CDBurnerXP Pro supports my new NEC ND-3500A DVD burner. I'm crossing my fingers and praying that it will!

Thanks!

This is the 3rd Spyware discussion now. If you do a little forum search on "spyware", you will find a very big and interesting topic about that.

So far I give you the following info: CDBurnerXP Pro does neither contain spyware nor adware.

Edit

I better give the link: http://cdburnerxp.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212

I don't think these registry keys do not exist (although this scan was a bit too fast for the results it found, one second is a bit very short time to scan a complex regitry [Wink]) but they don't contain spyware. Did you never heard about that some anti-spyware programs find spyware that is no spyware? Or that antivirus software that does find viruses that are no viruses? At least the antivirus programs have to correct these mistakes, because the customers will notice and complain about that.

I am reminded of the Gator (anti spyware) company, which has stated time and time again that they don't include spyware in their products, eventhough they are known to include spyware.

Gator, which is an eBay sponsor, once used driveby downloads and popup ads (because of the anti spyware bill, they don't use the download techniqe anymore), but even if they didn't put it in themselves, both the dowloads you didn't ask for and their "in your face" advertizing, can and usually do carry spyware, and as if that weren't enough, that spyware will attract adware, spyware, Trojans, worms, and hijackers, so a program doesn't have to include spyware for the user to get it.

I just had a devil of a time cleaning up Total Velocity's Memory Meter and Speed Booster.

This is because it was well hidden deep within my registry settings, so when I did a system restore to avoid the previous hijacker, I got all this junk on my system again.

http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/memorymeter.htm

I've used this program for a month or so. Never once have I had any spyware, adware or anything else malicious on my computer. Period. I am running the current beta version and outside of one minor glitch, it runs beautifully. I am quite happy with it and so made a donation. I use ZA and I let it tell me when something is trying to get in or out. Because I have a cd burner and a dvd burner and it gets confused when I switch. No problem. I make the sellection for the one I want to use, close the subwindow out, open it again and carry on.

Great program.