Writing Error: (3)

Guest Saxton

Every time that I try to burn a DVD-R I get this error.

Writing Error: (3) Error reserving DVD-R track/Session blocks.

Unkown error - use extended data for more information (1051)

Error Sense Data: SENSE KEY: 5 ASC: 2C ASCQ: 0

If anybody knows what this means or how to get rid of it, I would greatly appreciate finding out.

• 1 month later...
Guest K Walker

I keep getting this error, too, but only since I installed the newer version of scrrun.dll to fix the problem where I dragged folders into the backup window and only got empty folders (i.e. I had to manually copy all subfolders and their contents into the backup window.)

I'll try going back to the old dll to see if that makes a difference.

P.S. My CD burner is a Samsung CDRW / DVD SM332B and I've had problems burning data CDs with Roxio, Windows, NTI Backup Now!, and Media Player, although I can burn music CDs without ANY problems. Go figure.

The burner came preinstalled on my Dell computer. I worked with them to resolve the issue and we never got it working. I even installed new firmware, but that didn't help. That's why I am trying CDBurnerXP Pro, but it looks like I'm SOL with this software, too.

P.S. My CD burner is a Samsung CDRW / DVD SM332B and I've had problems burning data CDs with Roxio, Windows, NTI Backup Now!, and Media Player, although I can burn music CDs without ANY problems. Go figure.

The burner came preinstalled on my Dell computer. I worked with them to resolve the issue and we never got it working. I even installed new firmware, but that didn't help. That's why I am trying CDBurnerXP Pro, but it looks like I'm SOL with this software, too.

I'll need more detail from you... the fact that you are having problems with every burning package indicates the problem is something other than software!

What processor/RAM?

What Operating System?

What exact "problems" are you having?

Any error messages/codes as above?

Are you doing anything else while burning?

Guest K Walker

I'm a professional software developer and the problem I'm having is on my home system, which is a Dell Dimension 8200 with an Intel P4 - 2.54 Ghz processor. I've got 256 Mb of RAM, and I'm running XP-Pro. The disk is approx. 70 Gb in size with about 45 Gb free.

The error message I get when backing up data files is the same as mentioned earlier in this chain of postings. (That's why I responded to it.) Sometimes the error comes up fairly early in the process, and sometimes I get to 100% before the error comes up. The only application running at the time of the error is CDBurnerXP Pro.

I spent many hours working with Dell support to figure this out, but we failed. I spent many hours working with NTI tech support (for NTI Backup Now!) and we also failed. Their program would create a backup image and then bomb as soon as the software tried to access the CD Burner. I upgraded the firmware, but that didn't help. I've tried doing data file backups with Roxio and MediaPlayer, but they get part way through the backup and then tell me that the disk is full or I get an "Access denied" error.

As mentioned earlier, I can burn music CDs without any problems by using Roxio Easy CD Creator or MS MediaPlayer 10.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to back up my important data files so that I can wipe out my hard drive and reinstall everything because something got through my firewall last week and corrupted my firewall, virus scanner, and VPN client. These backup problems existed before that attack, though. I'm also hoping that reinstalling all of my software might get rid of this problem.

Thanks for the help!

kw

Guest K Walker

I should also point out that I have tried many different brands of CDs. They all work just fine for music. The problem is with backing up data files.

-kw

I should also point out that I have tried many different brands of CDs. They all work just fine for music. The problem is with backing up data files.

-kw

have you tried this with task manager open to the Performance tab? It almost sounds as if something else is running up cpu/memory usage, and fuddling up the cd burner process...

Guest K Walker

have you tried this with task manager open to the Performance tab? It almost sounds as if something else is running up cpu/memory usage, and fuddling up the cd burner process...

I'll give it a try and get back to you.

-kw

• 5 months later...
Guest NA

i just ran into this and resolved it by burning onto my DVD each file individually until i found the file that caused this problem. Once i found the trouble file, i simply excluded it from my burn. The bothersome file is a Torrent avi that I downloaded and it actually will play properly on my local machine.

• 2 years later...

i can't burn cds anymore. When i put a blank cd in it starts to format and then quicks. I can read cds however. help.

i have a dell computer and windows xp