Sign in to follow this  
floele

Copying a DVD to a Different DVD Format

I was given a DVD+RW with a TV show recorded on it using a Phillips set-top recorder. My home DVD player/recorder will not read it, as it only reads DVD-R, -RW, and RAM. I have a TDK multi-format DVD burner in my PC. How do I go about copying the show from the DVD+RW to a DVD-R disc so that my home set-top unit can play it? Can I just copy the files and directories to a DVD-R? Or must I use a special procedure?

Where's the difference in the different DVD formats...In other words, are the video files different for DVD-R and DVD+R or are the discs physically different?

Thanks,

Tom A.

quote:
Originally posted by TA-2100

I was given a DVD+RW with a TV show recorded on it using a Phillips set-top recorder. My home DVD player/recorder will not read it, as it only reads DVD-R, -RW, and RAM.

id="quote">

id="quote">

It does not play the disc althogh it is compitable to DVD-RW?

quote:

I have a TDK multi-format DVD burner in my PC. How do I go about copying the show from the DVD+RW to a DVD-R disc so that my home set-top unit can play it? Can I just copy the files and directories to a DVD-R? Or must I use a special procedure?

id="quote">

id="quote">

The video-files have to be compressed with a special codec and to be placed in special folders (normally audio_ts and video_ts). If you use a DVD-R and do everything right, it depends on your burner and burning program whether it works.

quote:

Where's the difference in the different DVD formats...In other words, are the video files different for DVD-R and DVD+R or are the discs physically different?

id="quote">

id="quote">

No, no difference between the files, only DVD-R and DVD-RW are physically different, otherwise you couldn't erase them.

download DVDSHRINK. a dvd ripper (free) try to rip the tv show onto your hard drive. I guess your pc will read the +DVD disk. After that if your pc DVD burner will burn a -DVD disk you got it. I have not tried to use CDBXP to burn my dvds. I use copyto dvd. (US$29.00)not free but works fantastic. Good Luck!