Sign in to follow this  
tony_r

[done] So what's the secret?

I'm new to burning CDs (although experienced with computers).

I tried buring the Knoppix iso with CDBurnerPro on a number of cd's but kept winding up with just a copy of the iso image on the cd. So I then found (via pricelessware) a program called 'burnatonce' and tried it - and voila, it worked first time with the Knoppix iso image 'unpacked' onto the cd.

So what's the secret to get CDBurnerPro to burn an iso image properly?

:?:

Tony

it's funny... i did the same mistake and - on knoppix iso file :-)

6 minutes later i was surprised to see result... look under help

cleared it up. Maybe there should be message window clarifying

difference and give option of making datacd with iso file as reglar file

or if iso should be used to recreate original cd.

I did check Help after the 1st burn failed. But upon looking at the Help file Contents index again just now, I realise that I only got as far as Compile DataCD which is what I thought I was doing (say as opposed to an mp3 or video cd etc). I thought DataCD's included iso files although no doubt had I cast my glance a few cm's further down Contents index I may well have been disabused about that.

Following on from the above, I took it that since the file I had listed in the compilation form had an 'iso' extension, it would therefore *automatically* be burned as an iso file, and that the 'write iso' menu was just a 'windows standard design' alternative for doing the same. When I subsequently burned the file with 'burnatonce', I didn't have to specify anything - it just burned the iso file in the right way. Easy, natural and obvious.

I suppose it would be clear to the those experienced in burning files on cd's how to use cdburner but for this cd burning novice it wasn't. From what I now (loosely) understand, I would have thought if someone were trying to burn an iso file from the compilation option, cdburner would popup a message asking the user to confirm they really wanted just to *copy* the iso file rather than do whatever it is called when an iso is written to cd (I think this is more or less what 'Guest' is saying as well). This would be useful for novices, especially those novices who do RTFM, but not necessarily the right bits on the appropriate occasion. Either that or have a help file on how to read the help file :)

Tony

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.