CRC of written files [Done -version 3]

Hi all

Once I write to the CD I would prefer the written files to be CRC for errors. I do not want to Test Write and then Write the CD. I need a one click work.

Please advise and I hope this is a useful request.

Regards

Bhavbhuti

A test write is a feature to allow to see if the data will fit on CD, not for verifying the Data. Most CD Burning comes with this option.

There are other ways of checking the data of your CD.

1: Create a md5sum of all the files when you know they are working.

Burn the md5sum checklist file with the files.

Once it is on CD, the files should checkout without any error.

Note: md5sum is made to check / verify any file that is changed in structure since the creation of the checlist file.

Example: Create a Text file with a sentence, create a md5sum, then modify the text file, then check again with md5sum, the two md5sum hash marks will be different.

But it sounds to me, that you want a "Verify CD After Write" option, which just checks the cd for RAW data errors.

I do not see the need to add a verify feature to CDBurnerXP.

A verify immediately after write could discover some writing

errors, but not errors produced when data are read from HD and

composed because of a possible bug in CD-Write-Software or some

system problems, and also not comatibility problems with different

CD drives.

A reliable method would be a Utility calculating a strog

Checknumber (MD5, SHA 160, SHA256) of a complete directory

structure, but I didn't find something like this up to now.

Now I have to check selected single files by CRC32 or MD5 by

external programms badly supporting many files and not supporting

structures.

Test write is only exceptionally useful so I switch it allways off.

• 2 months later...
Guest pivo

Hi,

I've written a Java tool for comparing written CD content with the HD content, because I was missing such a function in cdburnerxp pro too. You can find it enclosed. For me it works fine but of course would be more comfortable to have an integrated solution :)

pivo

• 1 year later...
Guest Aspring Geek (as guest)

Hi,

I've written a Java tool for comparing written CD content with the HD content, because I was missing such a function in cdburnerxp pro too. You can find it enclosed. For me it works fine but of course would be more comfortable to have an integrated solution :)

pivo

Integrated would be more convenient, but having an *unrelated* tool confirm the accuracy of written backup data can give greater assurance. For PCs, there's the cygwin installation, which duplicates unix functionality in windows. That means you can use tools like diff and cmp to do an actual comparison rather than comparing signatures generated from these files. I could be a bit naive about this, but the more direct the comparison, the greater my confidence. The signatures serve an added purpose, however, in verifying the integrity of files on CD as they age.

Regarding the use of cygwin, I understand that this is not the best way for most users because it involves learning cygwin's unix-like environment. However, a google search of the following on the web shows that diff and cmp can be gotten for the PC without cygwin:

free "diff for windows" microsoft

free "cmp for windows" microsoft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.