New Major Version: 3.5

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nero 7 is out and over 100 megs! I've been waiting way too long for 3.5 to come out. Any idea as to when that's gonna happen?

100mb? the typical installation is 1000mb! like I said...BLOAT :shock:

I uninstalled nero, and for the last week or so Ive been using cdburnerxp as my sole burning app. So far no problems...but just like you said..I want the new version :D

hope 3.5 stable isn't too far off :cry:

I don't know what's up with the devs, but I've been watching the bugs page and nothing has changed for weeks.

There's always the same 6 bugs almost finished plus 2 new ones. I guess there's still some time till until the final version if development is that slow paced.

Anyway CDBXP is still the best burner app available, so I'll keep waiting :)

• 2 weeks later...

As I can recall one of the main reasons (or even the main reason) of changing the development to .Net was the requirement of support for international characters. Now a lot of time has passed, a lot of coding has been done, and what has changed? It seems the process itself has substututed the aim ;).

By the way, I do not know any other CD writer program, commercial or free, which only supports English speaking people. The CDBurnerXP Pro is the unique beast here :).

As I can recall one of the main reasons (or even the main reason) of changing the development to .Net was the requirement of support for international characters. Now a lot of time has passed, a lot of coding has been done, and what has changed? It seems the process itself has substututed the aim ;).

By the way, I do not know any other CD writer program, commercial or free, which only supports English speaking people. The CDBurnerXP Pro is the unique beast here :).

Well, it's not quite right. CDBurnerXP *does* support non-english speaking people, but its burning library does not. So while .NET made it possible to offer a multi-lingual interface, we still have to wait for an update on our burning library. In any case the change to .NET was a success in my opinion.

Flo, let me disagree with you ;)

CDBurnerXP *does* support non-english speaking people, but its burning library does not. So while .NET made it possible to offer a multi-lingual interface

It was definetely not required to switch to .net only in order to get support of international UI. Almost every modern free program on the Internet with some amount of permanent users has several languages UI, but is not based on .net. So, multilingual UI is not the case, it can be easily made within almost any programming language, manually or semi-automatically. The unability to write files with international characters is the main stop for international users, not the interface.

I do not argue against the .net here. I just think the support of international characters while WRITING is much more of importance for international users. It can be easily proven by different posts in this forum. It is possible to understand several English menu items, but it is impossible at all to use the program if it cannot write my files.

So it would be much better (from my pov) to update burning library than to beautify UI. It is just my pov, but it does has ground.

The only problem is that we can't update the burning library. We can switch between different ones (while switching usually means rewriting the whole app) but we can not modify it. I don't know what exact reasons we had for .NET, I guess that the actual developers could give you a more detailed answer on this. Onother reason was "thinking about the future" where the old VB might fade into insignificance.

... I don't know what exact reasons we had for .NET, ...

Believe me. Its cool.

I'm developing tools in .NET as well in the moment and it makes a lot of fun. :)

greetings

LordF

Ok, maybe it's really fun to program within .Net. But the fact is if the engine code is closed and can't be accessible by the developers, the program functioning is limited by the engine and the developers cannot improve it regardless their efforts.

By now the program is almost useless for any person except those who have English as their native language (or who has only ASCII file names). Is there any hope the engine will be updated to fix it in any close future?

• 2 weeks later...

Since it's almost December, I encourage all you doners, to just correct current problems, and not make new feature requests that would take even longer than before.

This project should be done by early January if not sooner, but it may not if these requests continue.

I want to make this clear:

No feature requests until this is out.

CDBurner does not have to be perfect in every way before the next version or build.

This project should be done by early January if not sooner, but it may not if these requests continue.

What makes you think that there'll be a new release by early January or even eariler, you got inside information???

• 4 weeks later...

But do you really think that a thing like that should be celebrated?

Yes, absolutely...any CD/DVD burning app should have it as its a basic function needed by anyone that makes their own discs and needs the option to make more copies. (unprotected discs only of course)

Don't bother with the "piracy" crap either...there are many legitimate uses for tools commonly used by pirates and having them does not make one a pirate, just as owning a firearm (or knife, etc) does not make one a murderer.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with an app that lacks it, and only plan to try this one once the stable 3.5x version is public.

Not forgetting the much requested UDF file system too, not sure why they sort of put it under low priorty when the file system is needed to play a DVD movie under a home theater system/DVD player?

• 1 month later...

J'ai la version 3.0.116 et la 3.5.101.4, qui n'est pas complète .

J'ai essayé de télécharger la 3.5.101.7, et si le téléchargement s'est bien passé , l'installation ne se fait pas .

Where is the problem ?

La version 3.5.101.4 est bien pour nous puisqu'en français ;je me débrouille avec l'anglais mais pas tous les amis à qui je recommande CDBurner .

Pourriez vous m'expliquer ce qui se passe pour la 3.5.101.7 , alors que ma version de la 3.5.101.4 n'est pas complète , car la gravure de CD audio est impossible .

Cordialement and congratulations for the so great job you are doing .

Christian

- I stumbled upon CDBurnerXP three weeks ago or so, whilst looking for something to burn Linux ISOs. It's been a nice little utility so far.

- Three days ago I downloaded the latest Debian DVD ISO, but I can't burn it because it's 4.36 GB. I just searched all 14 pages of this thread and found no reference to whether the up-and-comoing v3.5 will address this issue and allow this ISO to be written. If it will not, I may be forced to buy something, which would be truely heinous. (grin)

- I did find a lot of posting about .NOT. That's why I'm looking at Linux distro ... .NOT is not compiled any more than Java; because it's not multiplatform it has been optimized for speed in the Winbloze environment. .NOT is rife with ActiveX which is the least secure technology on the 'net, and MickeySnot is ramming this tripe down the world's throat in the same heavy-handed fashion as everything else they do. They never bother to find out what people want ... they just code their insecure gee-whiz garbage and toss it into the OS for the customer to beta-test it for them. The fact that it exposes them to excessive risk is only just seeming to cross the MickeySnot radar.

- I can understand why 'Admin' is using .NOT ... he's coding for the MickeySnot environment, and as others have pointed out, there's no recourse. MickeySnot has made damned sure of that ... this is called "monopoloy".

- It's too bad so many people appear to be hoodwinked by this hacker-enabling trash merely because it's simpler, thereby validating MickeySnot's paradigm of ease over security. This isn't the developers ... it's the users. If it doesn't perform instantly or have the latest in eye-candy interface or any of half a dozen other not strictly functional things that .NOT enables, then the users won't use it. So the developers are forced to code with .NOT so the Winbloze community will even pay attention to their 'ware. It's truely a sad state of affairs.

- Thanks for your time...

Ragnorok

P.S. I've never seen dashes appear as bullets on any system before, nor have I seen any system so aggressively strip spaces and line feeds from text. This makes "standard" book/newspaper style paragraphs, with indenting on the first sentence, utterly impossible to achieve. So bullets it is. (shrug)