Sign in to follow this  
Guest Walter

Error: Trying to write past the end of the media

Guest Walter

I'm encountering a problem trying to write to a CD-R - the error is "Writing Error (3): Trying to write past the end of the media (1021) SENSE KEY: 5, ASC: 21, ASCQ: 0.

I know I'm not trying to write more than the disc (actually about 630Mb), and the media quality is good (Plextor discs - the best, and tried, and ruined several anyway). I've found it also fails during a test write so at least I'm not wasting any more CD-Rs.

Using XP Pro with an Advansys SCSI card and a Yamaha CRW8424S writer. This setup has been working for 2 or 3 years, but I got sick of XP's disc management and installed CDBXPP 6 weeks ago. This has been working fine until around a week ago.

I found an item on the 'net about these Sense keys and they pointed to a registry setting which disables AutoRun - but it was already set to 0, so false alarm.

Anyone any ideas about this one???

Walter

No, I never have. I wasn't aware that maintenance like that was necessary. How would I go about doing that?

BTW, I forgot to mention in my original post - the error always occurs at about the same point during a record, at 51% !

No, I never have. I wasn't aware that maintenance like that was necessary. How would I go about doing that?

BTW, I forgot to mention in my original post - the error always occurs at about the same point during a record, at 51% !

You can purchase a CD Laser lens cleaning disc at WalMart, or some similar store for usually under $10.00...