Power Calibration area is Full(1047)! HELP!

Hey All!

I'm having alot of trouble with my DVD writer! Now i don't think its down to the Drive its self because it works but i thinki its down to software or summit to do with the computer because it does burn dvds (once in a blue moon) and its burns CDs with no bother!

My problem is this. When i put the Video_ts and Audio_ts folders to be burnt and then click burn it loads up the buffer then I got an error with 0% on the stauts bar! This has been going on for ages! it used to go to 7% then fail but i've done many differnt things to get it to work! I used to defrag the Hard drive then reinstall the burning software then go into safe mode then burn the dvd that worked for a while but then it stopped working (took and hour+ to burn) then i thought if i uninstalled the DVDwriter via device manager then reinstall it it would work and i wouldn't have to jumop to safe mode and that worked a few times but now zip!

Its not just CDburner XP i've been using tried Nero, DVD clone, instant cd+dvd etc! but nothing! I like using CDburnerXP its the best out the lot i think! I recently updeated my copy to the lastest version Cd burnerxp pro 3 (not the beta one) i used an older one but i can't remmber what version I thiunk it was the low 2.X version! Now Think that allways got me was when an error pop up it just said "Error Writing on disc" Nothing to say what was wrong! Wyhich i found annoying cos i didn't know why it was doing that! But this new version gave me an error and why it failed! But trouble is i dunno what it means lol!

Heres the error

Writing Error:(3) Error occured writing data to disc

Power Calibration area is full (1047)

Errpr sense Data: SENSE KEY: 3 ASC: 73 ASCQ: 2

Can anyone tell me what that means? I used to get Media Errors as well yet the DVDs i use are brand new out the packets and its memorx ones i mainly use or Mr Data!

heres a Quick Run Down of the Spec of my Machine

AMD Athlon XP, 2075Mhz (6.25 x 332) 2600+

VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400 Motherborad

512 mb (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X (128mb) Graphics Card

VIA AC'97 Enhganced Audio Controller

115GIG 7200RPM Hard Disc

NEC DVD-RW 2510 A

DVD-rom 16X/48X

Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Hope someone can help!

Many Thanks

Murray

9. I get a 'Power calibration error' or 'Calibration area (almost) full' error message. Why?

Power Calibration is controlled by the recorder.

Before any write operation, all recorders must do a 15 step power test to determine the optimum power for writing to the CD; this is called "Optimum Power Calibration"(OPC). During the write, it continues to do this test to get the best write throughout the whole CD; this is called "Running Optimum Power Calibration" (ROPC).

This whole process is controlled by the recorder, though initiated by programs such as Nero. There is an area on the inner part of the CD for the test and test data info to be stored. You can use this area up to 999 times.

If you receive the "Power calibration error" or "Power calibration area is (amost) full" error message, the cause will be either poor media, poor power, or a defective recorder.

Please try the following solutions:

Update the firmware of your recorder. Please check the manufacturer's website for the latest version.

Try another brand of CD-R or CD-RW media.

Try different power connectors, and for recorders, do not share power with other devices. It needs its own power connector. If the error occurs with an external recorder, the power source in the chassis could be the cause. As a test, try to take the recorder out of the external chassis and connect it internal.

Try different configurations, such as taking the CD-ROM to the primary IDE bus as slave and have only the recorder connected to the secondary IDE bus as master.

Send the recorder in for service.

ok so it was down to the burner lol! My bad! No wonder i'm failing my computing Course!

Cheers for that!

Went to the site I bought it from and they found me the firewire update for it so i will try that when i get home today if not I'll send it away!

• 10 months later...

I've seen this problem with lots of Pioneer DVR-K12D (which has been reported to be a rebadged Sony, but I don't believe it). I have the same problem.

I truly think the drive is bad. I burn DVD's on a daily basis. All DVD media is from the same batch (spindle). Nothing else has changed. Everything's fine for months, then one day, "power calibration error". Hasn't worked since and I've done damn near everything various people and forums have suggested.

I hope you have better luck.

Guest Reisschuessel

I had the same problem (Power calibration error) on my IBM ThinkPad R50p (using a Matshita DVD RAM drive).

Tried CD Burner XP, versions 3.0 and 3.5 (Alpha) with no success, then changed to Nero 6.3, but still the problem was not solved.

So finally, I had to get a new DVD drive - that finally sorted the issue.