Windows cannot read from this disk.

Guest Chuck

G'day from WA. Firstly, let me applaud you for providing freeware sans spyware. Software without embedded self-interest is quite novel, these days.

On to my query/problem:

I've borrowed my friends dvd-burner so I could back up stuff from my hdd. I usually have a dvd rom and a cd-rewriter. I started with some mpegs and avis, filling up the capacity bar, but not overburning. Once it was done (at 1x), i took the new disc and put it in the dvd-rom and got this error msg:

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows.

However i the dvd burner will read the new disc - sadly, i have to give this drive back soon, so that's no good. The dvd-rom has read from dvdrs in the past without batting an eyelid (or disctray).

I read many of the posts on the forum (no post search engine :( ) and I do not think it is a compatibility issue, or a driver issue. Everything works fine until i try to use the disc in another drive. I created a second disc, using the same method but with less data; same effect. I used a dvd-r, trawling through the internet (including the faq link in your help file) has taught me that dvd-rs are different to dvd+rs, but not how or why. I used the 'Joliet' format, would that make a difference.

I looked in preferences and recorder info, but couldnt find a way to change the burn speed before commencing a burn..?

Again, well done for providing this freeware to our cybercommunity. I hope my problem can be rectified, so i can recommend this easy to use program to my friends, as i do with other excellent freeware programs, such as adaware.

Any help will be appreciated,

Chuck.

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows.

Some older DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM drives have tremendous difficulty reading newer burned discs, particularly +R and discs that are left open... my DVD-ROM in my laptop, merely 3 years old, can't read a burned disc, period.

I looked in preferences and recorder info, but couldnt find a way to change the burn speed before commencing a burn..?

When you go to the burn dialog, there is an option for speed settings...

There is one. Did you ever click on "Search"?

Yes. It brought me to a Google panel, which found no matching entries for quite general terms. Hence I thought it may not be searching entire posts. I guess you'd know, Flo. Google does everything all of a last three months, huh? Wonder when they'll change their name to Skynet?

On the burn speed, when I clicked burn on the compilation screen, it immediately commenced the burn process. I could see the dropdown (and the search dialog ftm) but the current price of dvdrs is such that id rather not cancel. btw I'm not complaining, I just thought our mutual benefactors may like to know that their clients may have to burn a disc at 1x (or chuck a disc) before selecting a faster speed.

Ed. Wait...you are our benefactors...

Some older DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM drives have tremendous difficulty reading newer burned discs, particularly +R and discs that are left open... my DVD-ROM in my laptop, merely 3 years old, can't read a burned disc, period.

The dvd-rom has read from dvdrs in the past without batting an eyelid (or disctray).

I checked the properties of the burned disc, and the 'closed' box was checked.

My dvd-rom is brand-spankers, as we say in Oz, and the burner is also quite new.

Thanks for your help.

Chuck U. Farley.

On the burn speed, when I clicked burn on the compilation screen, it immediately commenced the burn process. I could see the dropdown (and the search dialog ftm) but the current price of dvdrs is such that id rather not cancel. btw I'm not complaining, I just thought our mutual benefactors may like to know that their clients may have to burn a disc at 1x (or chuck a disc) before selecting a faster speed.

Mid left on the compilation screen, ther is a burn button... click the arrow next to it, and you can select "Burn and choose settings" That'll allow you to set burn speed without worry...

Yes. It brought me to a Google panel, which found no matching entries for quite general terms. Hence I thought it may not be searching entire posts. I guess you'd know, Flo. Google does everything all of a last three months, huh? Wonder when they'll change their name to Skynet?

Works fine for me :-P

What were "quite general terms" in this case?

This is getting off topic, but if you must know:

first

"Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows."

then

windows cannot read from this disk

then

dvd format corrupt

finally

cannot read disk

only the last yielded results; of course, they were irrelevant.

since i posted a few hrs ago 60 odd people have scanned this, maybe it's not just me googling these quite general terms. if anyone finds anything, remember who else was looking, huh? :idea:

Well, as far as I know there is no other topic about the same problem, and sicne this topic is quite new, it isn't included in googles index of course. So everything is just fine I think ;)

• 9 months later...

I think this has something to do with burning Multisession. I'm getting the same error on a 8x DVD+R written with Nero at 2.4x on an old DVD drive.

• 1 year later...
Guest Naugles

Well I got this on my Sony DVD burner (DRU-720A with JY08 - eventually) and fiddled for hours and hours.

I finally broke down and got a 50 buck Memorex just to run into the same darn error! Mildly pissed to say the least.

Before researching conflicting drivers to no end, I will probably end up rein@*stalling..............