[->BTS] temp directory

Guest carenp

Guest carenp

this one bit me a couple of times: it appears that the program keeps track of things in the temp directory of the user: under win2k, this is in documents and etc, local settings, yada yada...

i have a program that periodically deletes everything in this directory and, because you folks (1) put stuff in there and (2) don't protect it, my cleaning program cleans it up most completely..

NOW, having said this, this is hardly a problem when i'm not burning anything. this is a MAJOR coaster-creator when i'm burning something...

could you folks use a temporary directory underneath your file install point? OR, if you must use $temp, could you protect the files so they won't be destroyed/deleted/munged while your program is operational?

thank you again for such a great program :)

00 caren

http://www.parkgallery.org

Guest carenp

i use ccleaner, which has an exclusion list for cookies, but not for temp files; it's all or nothing, as far as i can see (for the version i have, which i assume is the latest; i guess i should check, to make sure)...

just downloaded 1.17 (2005.02.09), but don't see anything in the release notes that says they will be picky about what is in the temp directories other than "filedate access"... guess i'll have to play with it and see, but at first guess, it won't help here...

00 caren

http://www.parkgallery.org

Guest carenp

though i am loath to try it (for fear of creating still another coaster), there is an option that says "do not delete if created within the last 48 hours" (paraphrased)...

having said that, i should tell you that this cleaner has excellent security reasons why it should be used, not the least of which is that most idiot trojans/virii/etc place files in the temp directory for execution...

recently, i actually had a program self-start (nasty website)... i immediately ran the cleaner... it deleted everything but the executable (it was running), and because the exe was relying on support files AND my virus programs stood up and started screaming at the same time, i was able to kill the offender with no hassle, no loss of data, no wasted time rebooting (to remove the executable from memory)...

the other major reason to use this cleaner is that i can specify which cookies i will hang onto long-term. all other cookies die, including those that cause hassles (like gator, gain, etc)...

for me, the cleaner is an excellent tool i can't live without...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.