Sign in to follow this  
TheShadow99

Wierd DVD burning speed & detection issues....

In case your wandering this did in fact start in the general discussion forum...

I recently bought a brand new NEC ND-3520A dual layer compatable DVD+/-R/W 16x drive and since all I've used as a burning ROM for the past year or so has been CDBP that's what I've been burning discs with. But when I started burning DVD's I noticed a few strange things...

The first being the default setting it 'autodetected'. The default is 4x (~5500 kb/s), even when I'm using 16x rated media (I made sure that was what I bought). I left this alone to start with, but after posting here (well in the general discussion forum) I decide to switch to manual 16x (~22,000 kb/s) setting.

Here is where I started to notice some other strange things. Using 3 GB of data 4x auto and 16x manual resulted in the same amount of time being taken (within a margin of error). It basically allways took 5 minutes and up to 50 seconds (averaverage for both is about 30 secs) to burn a disc.

Now here is the final strange thing. If I nearly fill a disc (~4GB of data) then and only then do I see a difference between 4x Auto and 16x Manual. A 4x auto session takes about 7 minutes to write that much data. A 16x manual session takes 6 minutes to write that much data. Now what makes thsi strange is that it should start out fast and then slow down as it gets closer to the edge of the disc... This seems to get faster the farther out it goes... And even so it would be wierd to see two identical speeds match on writing data til over 3 GB of data was being written.

I'm not sure if it's just a issue between CDBP and my drive or a common issue no one has noticed (or if they did I can't find a mention of it). On top of that their is an obvious failure to detect the drive and media for the write speed... Or else it reports a different mode then it's actually working in... Which would explain alot of this stuff all at once...

I have experienced the same issue with my NEC 3520A. Burning at both 4x and 16x (after overriding the autodetect feature) resulted in similar burn times. In my case, burning 2.2 GB of data comprised of around 8000 files resulted in burn times of roughly 8 minutes in both cases. I am using media rated at 16x for this burner. I'm not sure why my burn times seem to be a little on the long side. Is it because there are so many files in the compilation? In any event, burns at both speeds were fully verifiable.

Guest zdes

I have the same problem on NEC3240A. It's making me unhappy as those disks written at hi speeds I can not read on my old computer (with some older NEC CD writer). Was there any slution to this?

bump..

Same problem seen here on OS Windows XP Home with SP2

Media player 10 series

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

512 MB RAM

Running the latest version of CD BurnerXP now available on this website.

Lets see if there are any responses from the author

Dec 25, 2005

NEC 3500A here. I had the same thing happen to me, similar burn times when manually chosing 8x over the auto thing. Maybe its a media problem, or a cdbxp problem. no idea really.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.