Sign in to follow this  
floele

Bittorrent download test

I have set up a bittorrent download for testing purposes. If you like, please make use of it :)

It contains the latest stable version of CDBurnerXP Pro. If bittorrent works well, I will use it for future versions of CDBXPP too.

*Edit*

Since some of you did not understand our intention: BitTorrent will only be an additional download "location" and not replace our current ones.

Hi,

this is definitely not a good idea. I never used bittorrent software und do not want to install in the future. Just a clean link to download is the best solution, if you have traffic problems then use several freeware-sites as mirrors.

Regards

Guest joe

This is a great idea, and I will happily seed for as long as possible. I tend to prefer the use of BitTorrents for downloads as it allows me to give a little extra back to the project in the form of bandwidth.

you might also wanna consider http://content.emule-project.net/ ......there is no illegal stuff on it, so it should be fine.

on this point, I'll be happy to lend my 40kb/s upload speed to the torrent :P

.....btw, you'll have to upload me that zip file next time we meet...1 seed 3 peer ratio is not very good :P Also Flo, you might wanna set up port forwarding on your router now....I'll help you with that next time also ;)

Guest Guest

I think you misundertood the concept. We won't use bittorrent as _only_, but as additional download source.

I have started the BT download, but so far no response and I cannot find the NOT BT download on this site.

Why not in the left upper corner under Navigation an item Downloads with in it the latestt three versions available as normal donwload?

Greetings...

Guest Joe

I fear that there won't be enough uploaders in the long run...

It is still a nice option to have. Though. To give you an idea I've been seeding the following

Autopatcher_XP_Jan2005_Full.exe (120.1mb) - share ratio of 69.189 - uploaded 8.29GB - Started 16 Jan 2005

OOo_1.1.4_Win32Intel_install.zip (64.2mb) - share ratio of 19.979 - uploaded 1.26GB - Started on 21st Dec 2004

warty-release-install-i386.iso (522.7mb) - share ratio of 13.166 - uploaded 6.74GB - Started on 20 Oct 2004

The first two I have been seeding since they were release and I will continue to do so until a newer version of each is produced. The success of the torrent relies heavily on how popular the software is, and the more people that know about it the better.

While CDBurnerXP Pro is a much smaller download it may still benefit from a torrent in some ways.

on this point, I'll be happy to lend my 40kb/s upload speed to the torrent :P

Thx :D

.....btw, you'll have to upload me that zip file next time we meet...

It is the same file as the standard download so you can get it from any source you want ;)

1 seed 3 peer ratio is not very good Razz Also Flo, you might wanna set up port forwarding on your router now....I'll help you with that next time also Wink

I already did it and uploaded a bit, but a 20KB upstream isn't that fast ;)

It is still a nice option to have. Though.

Yep, I hope that it makes sense to keep it ;)

I have started the BT download, but so far no response and I cannot find the NOT BT download on this site.

Why not in the left upper corner under Navigation an item Downloads with in it the latestt three versions available as normal donwload?

Greetings...

lol? There is an item in menu called "download".

Some people here, are (unfortunately) saying that ILLEGAL E-DONKEY (E-Mule, E2K)servers are better than bittorrent (more used for legal downloading). In this, I´ll recommend you, mr. moderator, not to put YOUR PROGRAM in E-Donkey networks, as your program might be changed by people with bad intentions (these networks are fullfilled by hackers), and then, you might start to receive posts such as: "CD Burner XP is SPYWARE!!!" I downloaded in 10 minutes CDBurner XP with bittorrent network, and I´m "seeding" the program now!!!

Guest Myself

Edonkey/emule uses a cryptographic hash system for the links. When you provide an edonkey download link, you're linking to the MD4 hash of the file. If someone changes the file, it's not pointed to by the link anymore. Someone could still put up a file with the same name, but its hash would be different. And obviously the download page would only link to the correct hash. Where's the problem?

I'm not suggesting using edonkey for software distribution, the client software is a bit complicated. (Ditto Freenet/Entropy.) Bittorrent is designed for this, and it works well.

What I like about Bittorrent is that the failure mode, if nobody else is downloading the file, is that all the blocks come from the main server. That's the same as the "normal http link" method, which can be a little slow if you're on the wrong end of a transoceanic cable. In a good case, Bittorrent is able to find other (local) peers and the transfer's much faster than via http. There's no downside, and for those who lack or dislike Bittorrent, the http links can be left up.

(By the way, Flo: From the tracker page, clicking "return to index page" and then "upload a .torrent" seems like a hole: Anyone could use your tracker to propagate their own files? Disable this in TorrentTrader's configuration.)

What I like about Bittorrent is that the failure mode, if nobody else is downloading the file, is that all the blocks come from the main server.

Well, I would like to make it work like that, but it doesn't work.

(By the way, Flo: From the tracker page, clicking "return to index page" and then "upload a .torrent" seems like a hole: Anyone could use your tracker to propagate their own files? Disable this in TorrentTrader's configuration.)

I know, but actually I don't mind if someoneelse uploads his torrent there ;)

You can run a BitTorrent client (to seed the file) on the same machine as the tracker. If there's noone else downloading or seeding the file, then it will behave like a http download, where it's just a connection between a single client and the server.

But being a peer-to-peer protocol, it makes more sense to encourage more peers to participate :wink:

Of course, if all the other seeds bail, it's useful to have the tracker machine serve as a seed of last resort. I've actually taken advantage of a tracker/seed that worked like that. :D

The only problem is, however, that it is not that easy to make our server run a bittorrent client per command line ;)

Anyway, I think it is better not do it that way because the users are supposed to spend traffic and not our server. This one needs its traffic for the webpage.

Linspire distributes their LiveCD via bittorrent and I hope more companies will follow this trend. Anyway a product of CDBurnerXP's stature has a good comunity around it, and I'm sure the users won't mind seeding to give back for the great free application and to help you guys keep down bandwidth costs.

Now, a bit off topic..but when are we going to see the new version written in .NET? How about one for linux running under MONO?

Keep up the good work!

RESPECT!

Guest Jesus K

The .torrent link works fine. I use the Shareaza to download .torrent, and it work perfect.It's a god way to download the nexts releases of CD BurnerXP Pro

Hi everyone:

I'm new to this forum. I've done the torrent test and it works flawlessly.

Great idea Flo, the more people wants to donwload CDBurnerXP Pro, the more bandwith available.

Best regards,

CatBandit

PD: Let's see if we see 3.5 public on April ;) Keep up the good job !

Guest Guest

Hey Flo this has nufin to do with the subject of this thread but I can c that u like Tales of Symphonia!! u hav that mini Lloyd avatar with the 2 swords he got of his natural father and his foster father!! im guessin u hav the game and like it very much?! lol i like the game too and its gd to see other ppl like it too since none of my friends seem to like it!

Hey Flo this has nufin to do with the subject of this thread but I can c that u like Tales of Symphonia!!

I think "like" is understated ;)

u hav that mini Lloyd avatar with the 2 swords he got of his natural father and his foster father!! im guessin u hav the game and like it very much?!

True :)

It took me ages to find an animated avatar...

lol i like the game too and its gd to see other ppl like it too since none of my friends seem to like it!

No? That's sad :|