Hello

I have a question regarding burning of iso-images to a CD.

I have downloaded a number of iso-files and checked their md5 checksums. They are OK.

Then I have burnt them to CDs using CD Burner XP Pro version 3.0.116 (using file-‘write disc from iso file’)

When I check the CDs for their checksums only 3 (out of 7) are OK.

I have tried different brands of CD-R-discs and I have used different settings in the program, but for some of

the iso files I can not get the correct checksum. I do get the same checksum each time however.

I have a DELL computer with HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B CD-RW unit

The program reports that everything is OK after the burning.

Is there anyone that can give me a hint of what is wrong?

Can it be related to the problems discussed in conjunction with Linux in

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm ?

Thanks

Are the CDs working at least? If so, maybe you should better try the same with our next version again and ignore that problem for the moment since I can't give you much advice on checksums.

The checksum numbers are valid only on the ISO file itself, not the cd once you've burned the ISO to the CD

I seem to be having similar problems. I am trying to burn cd's with Fedora Core 3 iso's. After burning the CD's, Fedora's installation program has the ability to verify the cd's at the beginning of the installation. Disc 1 passes the test, but disc 2, 3, 4 and the rescue cd fails the installation's verification test.

I've created more disc 2,3 and 4 discs and they all fail the installation check.

This is guest again who just posted. More info. I just used DVD Decrypter to write the Fedora Core 3 disk 2, 3 and 4 from ISO and those pass the installation validation check. So, dunno what to day.

I'm running windows xp pro sp2. CDBurnerXP Pro 3 (3.0.116) and DVD Decrypter (3.5.2.0) see my drive as SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-3528 T804

Abount checksums:

When I make the checksum test I convert the content from the CD to an iso-file and perform checksum test on that. It works on 3 of the 7 CDs, so I think the method is relevant.

Further, for the 4 defective disc there are reading errors when I try to read from them. However, I can copy all files from the defective disc to the c: drive under windows, without any problems. Then I can write that structure to a CD disc. This will not give correct checksum, but there are no reading errors.. This may be a work-around in some cases...

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried burning a cd from an iso file. When I put the cd into any drive after finishing, some weird stuff happens:

1) In "My Computer" the rugular icon for that drive disappears and is replaced with the standard "Windows doesn't Recognize this FIle Type" icon.

2) If I just double clikc the drive still, it shows the error message... "E:\ is not a valid Win32 application"

3) I can still force it to open the cd by right mouse clicking and choosing "open"

4) The directories are there, the files appear to be there, but if I click on any of the programs I am again warned "E:\[whatever the file is] is not a valid Win32 application"

After lots of trial and error, I decided to go right back to the very start and try to figure out what the problem was. That's when I found that the ISO file I was trying to burn had been corrupted. When I got a good ISO file, everything worked fine.