Hi!

I have tried to burn a data dvd 3 times now, only to see the process complete fully, with no errors, and then the disc seems to be considered a cd not dvd by explorer and I am unable to see any files on it ! The burn process definately completes, but at the end there is nothing on the dvd (-rw and -r tried). The total file size is 1.15 GB

Any help would be gratefully received !!

Many thanks

Hi ,

I'm having the same trouble with -r discs as well.

Just for the record, Isobuster see's the session as an entire session. Funny thing is that a visual inspection of the DVD shows less than 10% of the disc surface has changed colour.

I'm going out to buy some +r's in the morning to see if it makes any difference. I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

Then use DeepBurner(.com) until this problem is solved, this one can't burn DVD+Rs (at least in some cases it can't) but DVD-Rs...funny [|)]

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this forum and I am quite impressed by CDBurnerXP. But I am not clear if it verifies or when it verifies.

I had been previously using Nero Express which Burns first. Then it verifies. Does CDBurnerXP verify as it goes? Does checking "Test write" mean "Verify"?

I think CDBurnerXP Pro verfies at the end of burning process, but it is not the same as test write. That is only to test burning (working or not).

Ledyba: "I think CDBurnerXP Pro verfies at the end of burning process"

The "I think.." part worries me. The fundamenta question is whether CDBurnerXP verifies. Or, put another way: Can a CDBurne'd CD be trusted?

I also don't like the "I think" but I can't say "I know" because I don't know. I am not the developer and at the moment I can't even burn to test, because my burner doesn't spit out my CD again. Somehow I put it wrong in...stupid. Maybe it will open again some time [:D]

However, you can test your self if you can trust CDBXPP, just test the CD yourself after burning. I also *think* that verfieing here was something else than in Nero...I have to check as soon as my burner works again ;-)

Surely someone on this list knows if CDBurnerXP verifies. How else can one know if the data on the disk is reliable?

When you [Ledyba] say "..just test the CD yourself after burning.", what did you have in mind? For example, when I use the burner to back-up files, it may burn many thousand files. Checking this manually could be a new career ..and I would probably not do it as relably as a PC, anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by BobF

Surely someone on this list knows if CDBurnerXP verifies. How else can one know if the data on the disk is reliable?

id="quote">

id="quote">

What do you mean by "relieable"?? To to be sure that it works, just put into your drive an test it (open the programs, files or whatever). Of course someone knows, but currently noone of them is going to read your tread. I will have a look at this verifing later again.

quote:

When you [Ledyba] say "..just test the CD yourself after burning.", what did you have in mind? For example, when I use the burner to back-up files, it may burn many thousand files. Checking this manually could be a new career ..and I would probably not do it as relably as a PC, anyway.

id="quote">

id="quote">

You just need to test one or two, then the chanche that there are corrupted files is very very low. I also am not sure, if verifing is this feature you want to use, as far as I can remeber we dicussed this function someime in forum and i did not have the same functions as verifing in Nero. As I already said, I am going to check this as soon as I get my burner again to work, most likely today when I am home again.

Ok, burner repaired *puh*

So, CDBXPP does not have a verify-function at all. However, I am sure wou will get an error message if burning was not sucessfull. Let me know, if you had a corrupt disc without an error message.

Thanks Ledyba. I do appreciate your effort. Glad to hear that your burner is up and running again.

I do not believe manual verification of a data/file backup CD (i.e. opening files, running programs, etc..) is practical. All it takes is 1 bad bit to trash the CD. This can be catastrophic when one tries to restore backup files and finds that the one most important file has been trashed because of one bad bit. There is a big difference between "it should be oh" and "it has been verified to be a totally correct copy".

With Nero, I found that it would merrily burn at full speed. But it would fail to verify until we reduced our burning speed. Without the verification, we would have never known that our back-up CDs were probably useless.

Perhaps CDburnerXP is more suited for music and DVDs, where a few missed bits have little or no impact.

Again, thank you for your help. BobF

quote:
Originally posted by BobF

Thanks Ledyba. I do appreciate your effort. Glad to hear that your burner is up and running again.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Thanks [:D]

quote:

I do not believe manual verification of a data/file backup CD (i.e. opening files, running programs, etc..) is practical. All it takes is 1 bad bit to trash the CD. This can be catastrophic when one tries to restore backup files and finds that the one most important file has been trashed because of one bad bit. There is a big difference between "it should be oh" and "it has been verified to be a totally correct copy".

id="quote">

id="quote">

Of course, that is right. But there is no other way yet. I know no freeware, that has a verification yet. However, I think that a burn process without errors reported by the program is in all propability burned correctly.

quote:

Perhaps CDburnerXP is more suited for music and DVDs, where a few missed bits have little or no impact.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Maybe you are right, but CDBXPP is still under development and the most important things have to come first. [;)]