Sign in to follow this  
Guest samej71

Create DVD image on a computer without a DVD drive

Guest samej71

Hello, I'm using version 3.0.116 and I had a couple questions..

I'm trying to create a data DVD ISO on a computer that doesn't have a DVD drive installed - I'll copy the ISO over the network to a computer that does have a DVD burner.

However I want to make sure I only fill up my ISO with the maximum amount of data that will fit. I'm probably missing it but there doesn't seem to be a way to specify what kind of target media you want to write to when creating a compilation? It just seems to let me add as many files as I want, which isn't helpful. I need to make sure the ISO I create is feasible for burning to a DVD (squeezing out every available KB), and without any overburning. Is there an option to provide a media guide, so I know when I've exceeded the "safe" limit for a DVD or CD?

These probably belong in different posts but I'm going to include them here so I don't flood the board with too many messages. The program appears to allow multiple "document" windows open when a compilation window isn't maximized. However, the "create new compilation" icon/menu item isn't enabled if there is a compilation already open. If this is really how it's supposed to work it would be really nice if it could allow multiple open compilations at once so one could drag files in/out of compilations in order to maximize the amount of data that is going on the disk (least amount of wasted space).

Also, you drag a folder into the an empy lower right-hand quadrant of the compilation window it'll add the folder to the top level of the compilation. However, if you drag another folder into that quadrant and drop it in the white area (not on top of the previously added folder), the new folder is added as a child to the original folder, instead of as a top-level folder like one would expect when using Explorer.

I'm very appreciative of this program and I'm looking forward to seeing 3.5. Thank you for your time and support. It is appreciated.

--James

The last problem should be fixed in next version, the second one is not planned at the moment and the first one also is not yet implemented. But since you might know that a DVD can hold 4,3GB of data, it shouldn't be a problem ;)