NEC ND-3500, media, or USB issue?

I have a NEC ND-3500 in an external USB case. I have observed that when I try to burn to Memorex 4X DVD+RW at 4X, the write is "successful", but the resulting disk cannot be read by Windows. If I slow the burn down to 2.4X, the disk appears to be written properly and can be read. The weird thing is that when I first got the burner and CDBurnerXP Pro, I'm sure I was able to successfully burn a DVD+RW at 4X. Still, I am curious if this is likely a media issue, something with my USB case, or the NEC burner itself. I have not tried this with any other software yet, though I may give the new version of DeepBurner a try (didn't like the previous version much, hence my interest in this software).

Thanks

• 4 months later...
Guest Scyfer

It's an issue with your drive being an external drive, and that 2.4X is about the limit that USB2 will support correct burning at.

Guest Scyfer

(And sometimes it will burn successfully at higher speeds but it's really unreliable and depends on how much bandwidth your USB2 connection gets at that given time. I always set my external 3500AG to burn at 2.4X because anything else is flakey for me - EXCEPT with Alcohol 120% which seems to have a smart auto-detect function that will burn at 4X when it can and much slower when it can't).