Freeware vs. OpenSource License

Guest rickg22

Isn't that expensive?

No. It's FREE!! :D

Why do you think it's so popular? :firefox: (I know, it's not firefox but i just love the smiley :P )

I don't think that those burning libraries can be replaced that easily.

Well, let me share some experience with Codeblocks. I posted a thread on our forums saying "RAD TOOLS developers wanted". The thread remained inactive for about 3 or 4 months. The 5th month people started to posting their advancements there, and we got a guy who had done a very good tool all by himself but never had published it.

This was in ONE WEEK! :o

So, I'm sure that when you post your code on Sourceforge, many people will get interested in it and contribute with possible solutions. Even if the replacement library isn't found in say, 6 months, or even a year, eventually, it WILL happen. And I've seen a couple of CD-related projects at sourceforge, so you lose nothing by putting it there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what everyone is on about, someone provides a great program for you, for FREE, doesn't ask for anything in return ( maybe some paypal if you have some spare cash) and you people bitch and moan that you can't have the source code that they have probably spent months or even years on. Get over it, if you are so good at coding approach them and ask to be part of their team. If they need your help with a problem they would ask. It's like this, i'm sitting at home and doing a cross word puzzle and i have a bucnh of kids looking over my shoulder, telling me they want to help me, when i've already done three quarters of the work already, i'd say thanks but no thanks i'm close to finishing it myself........ my two cents

:x

I don't think anyone here is "bitching and moaning", just discussing future possiblities for the program, and perhaps improving development.

I once asked why open source isn't a replacment for online donations, but maybe it shouldn't be a replacement, but a companion.

I have seen open source projects that have an optional, no obligation donation function (button with popup window or Web link on software), so maybe CDBurner can do the same.

Guest Maverik[CH]

(grml, i have to hint phpBB to make a link on posts-area to reply over login)

ehm, oh! yeah:

I went open source too and want just post my reasons why, just for supporting future plannings about cdburnerxp.

it is too say that my opensource project is a screenreader for blind people

my benefits:

- no need of lisense thinking because it exists already one (and it fits me)

- easiest way to find developers (using the opensource development platform sourceforge.net)

- to share code for getting hints and inovations

- for me: free = open. if i would want to close source only because getting money for. which is not fact.

- preventing reinvention of wheel.

- keeping project alive (in fact current team would break apart)

personally it is for me also to go opensource a matter of symbolic like otherones are only buying bmw cares or swatch watches or something.

90% of software on my desktop is opensource ^^

the general goals to go opensource where prevetion of reinventing the wheel and keeeping project alive. i think effort should be in impove existing code than rewritting what already exists. also i myself am annoyed about "mine mine mine"-philosphy.

i never thught about to steal code more i'm thinking about to implemt or use exising code, because it already exists. no need to rewrite. why loose time and effort on rewriting existing code? i also will list up from whom it was generally coded. what is for me a matter of corse and ethics.

i think open source licenses exists for thoes who want to share and be open not really knowing howto fullfil that ;) with rules, because i think our world wont work without rules.

beeing closed signs that someone has to hide something or wants to make money with. thats my sight. if whole world would think in everything like this everybody would have to reinvent the wheel in business and life handling. if closing source is good we would have to disontinue school for example. :D

well, the reasons for opensource or against are a neverending story like good or bad, " to know all detailed backgrounds, why this" or "not worrying about, and ejoying just the end product" etc. a good sample was the software patents in europe story. we had equalent opponents beeing for or against that. also EU parliament has drop down in fact decission about because of that. well, in fact it was therefor a success for the opponent beeing against patents, but the votes showed that the voting was more or less equal.

it will be sure a decission on project lead or development team themselves. maybe cdburnerxp project can pull out some points to their benefits on time their deceide to discuss or decide about changing to opensource or not.

as so far my thinkings and hints or roman :roll::P

btw i love thisone too =)

:firefox:

Guest Scott Kathrein

Hi, I am a newcomer to CDBurnerXP and this forum. I just stumbled upon this software today looking for free windows burning software.

The first thing I thought when I found it was, so is this open source or not?

When I come here and I see that this software is not open source then things run through my mind like, will it disappear next week? will it be discontinued and supplanted with a pay version soon? even: does it have adware?

A quality software (like this one!) that is also open source is assured never to die!! I'm thinking here of Sonique. I was just using Sonique2 beta today wondering when the final version was going to be released.. when I noticed that the beta build I was using was from April 2004! After some research, it turns out Lycos fired the 2 guys that were working on Sonique on April 2nd, 2004, and it has been sitting dead ever since! If only Lycos had made it open source! And Sonique is one of the most unique and powerful players available.

From the posts by Flo it sounds like the authors would be willing to make this open, but haven't really considered it much. Well, let me attest that 'rickg22' knows what he is talking about. Even if those burning utilitities never get replaced, you will surely see the benefit of open sourcing this thing.

You invite cool new spinoff apps like "CDBurnerXP lite", or "CDBurnerXP SuperHeavyAnnoyingGUI" (to compete with the commercial products) The possibilities are endless! Are would these spinoffs be "stealing" as suggested above? No. Why should anyone have to develop from scratch if it has already been done? that's just the right way to do things, not stealing by any means.

Even if you make it open, of course you can maintain control of what gets into the code and not.. and surely you will soon meet some cool people to help you out!

---------

Finally, I would like to comment to the people who think we are bitching and complaining.

We are not! The only people here bitching and complaining are the people who started bitching and complaining about the people asking about open source. and now me for bitching and complaining about those people bitching and complaining! It never ends.

Of course we are all thankful of what CDBurnerXP provides us for free, but can't we at least inquire as to why certain things are the way they are? And if the answer turns out the way it looks like it will (basically no reason not to go open source), then we may end up doing a great service to the authors of this software!

From the posts by Flo it sounds like the authors would be willing to make this open, but haven't really considered it much.

Not quite right. We did consider it, but came to the conclusion that it is not possible. Making CDBXP OpenSource without any burning libraries doesn't make any sense right now (in my opinion).

Not quite right. We did consider it, but came to the conclusion that it is not possible. Making CDBXP OpenSource without any burning libraries doesn't make any sense right now (in my opinion).

Burning libraries?

I have seen many people at sourceforge.net just gathering together on one project for improvements, such as Media Player Classic 6.4.8.2 including ffdshow filters in MPC 6.4.8.3, and minor bug fixes in the current version.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scott Kathrein

Hello again, I would just like to reopen this issue once again in order to request a more complete response from Flo and/or the authors. I would at least like to hear the reasoning behind what you've said so far.

Also, I don't think I or any one of the open source advocates here really agrees with the reason that "it doesn't make sense since the burning libraries can't be included". I mean at the worst, you make it open source (without libraries) and no one touches it. Have you lost anything?

And when I said that it seems you haven't considered it, I meant haven't considered doing it without the libraries included... which still seems maybe true.

I may not know what i'm talking about here but:

If it is released under opensource liscense withough burning libraries couldn't the libraries be copied from k3b (linux software)?

well i do still not understand quite

do thoes commercial libraries forbit you to implement it in opensource code?

well it is not really needed to put hole cdburnerxp pro under opensource as application.

i'm thinking more about registring the own programmed code (that means cdburner xp pro minus burning libraries) under a opensource development network like sourceforge.net or berlios.de with help wanted announce. don't know what it will be called like or will be in the description. maybe something like cdburner opensource CDBurner Project. maybe you'll find easier developers in the opensource community helping you to get free or opensource burning libraries like you have atm.

maybe it could be a pre-project to open an OS burning library research project?

kind regards

I also think "who cares?". Dev team makes this software and gives it to us for free.

They don't want others to view or edit sourcecode? Fine with me.

Other free burner : Burn4Free (ads in main window). I used to use him but CDBurnerXP is a lot better. B4F sometimes didn't erase my CD-RWs.

Guest Street

I see that there may be concern with this program due to the malicious freeware labe attributed to this program.

I know that not all freeware has malicious code in it but alot of it does.

I will give this program a try in the near future just to see how it works.

I like to try software out.

There are like over 40 different open-source licenses they could use for this project and keep there intilectual rights over it.

I do not know why they will not go this route but im sure they will or have already looked into it.

As long as they keep it free of add ware and spy ware what does it really matter.

If the program works for them the way it is and they have the knowledge to help it grow more power to them. Though a form of open-source may help it along a bit faster.

I wish them luck in what ever they do i feel as from what ive read so far on this program that it really looks like it can be a contender against commercial software.commercial software does not always mean its the best out there it really just means someone wants to make a few bucks or alot of bucks off of there product

I know that not all freeware has malicious code in it but alot of it does.

This is not true. There are only a few (more or less well known) freeware programs which include "malicious" software.

I have also several freeware installed, which are good products. somehow opensource has a greater/better reputation in my eyes and for some reason i'm primary focusing opensource lisensed ones.

maybe because development is in the eyes of the users better granted? on my case i think that has more to do with that i'm a a opensource freak, well also that i always got answer and my suggestions got fullfilled ^^

it is last but not least a matter of experiences with freeware / opensource.

Flo, how about my suggestion getting a opensorce research project for the burning library?

• 7 months later...
Guest Ezel

I'd REALLY like this application to go GPL /Open Source/ Free Software/ FLOSS.

The reason I started with this application is that the other freeware burner I used stopped updating (and finally failing because of some DVD-plugin license-crap).

http://www.burnatonce.com/index.htm?news

It is NOT open-source and it hasn't been updated for 2 years :-(

Scott Kathrein mentioned earlier in this thread another example (Sonique 2) that stopped updating.

I just don't want to see that happen again. . With the source available someone else can always take over the development when you ppl dont' have time, lust or possibility to do so.

I also wonder why NOT release the source?

Is it because:

* You're ashamed of the spaghetti-coding? :-)

* You're ashamed of the low quality of commenting :-)

* You have commercial-source bundled into your own code and can't root it out?

* You don't think the code is finished enough to release?

* You are afraid that the project will get "stolen"?

* You are on a powertrip? :-)

Mvh: Ezel ... Malmoe, Sweden

I'd REALLY like this application to go GPL /Open Source/ Free Software/ FLOSS.

The reason I started with this application is that the other freeware burner I used stopped updating (and finally failing because of some DVD-plugin license-crap).

http://www.burnatonce.com/index.htm?news

It is NOT open-source and it hasn't been updated for 2 years :-(

Scott Kathrein mentioned earlier in this thread another example (Sonique 2) that stopped updating.

I just don't want to see that happen again. . With the source available someone else can always take over the development when you ppl dont' have time, lust or possibility to do so.

I also wonder why NOT release the source?

Is it because:

* You're ashamed of the spaghetti-coding? :-)

* You're ashamed of the low quality of commenting :-)

* You have commercial-source bundled into your own code and can't root it out?

* You don't think the code is finished enough to release?

* You are afraid that the project will get "stolen"?

* You are on a powertrip? :-)

Mvh: Ezel ... Malmoe, Sweden

Some people here seem to think that open source project keep updating but they won't if there aren't any developers the same story goes for freeware. The only advantage I can think of is that others have access to the source and can start where others have stopt developing.