Sign in to follow this  
odiear3rd

AUDACITY- Mp3 recorder

I listen to a Internet radio station on my computer. I want to download Music to my compute, is there a tutorial to how to use Audacity Software that is simple?? Maybe I can find a simplier program that works better? Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks to all who respond!! ODIE :)

Guest petermidi

There's nothing simpler (or free-er) than 'soundcapture' from magicsofts

That's what I use

It records direct to mp3

You can then edit/tidy in audacity if you've got nothing better to do

Or compress to a smaller mp3 file using itunes

All for free

what a wonderful world

P

Guest MRT

It would probably be a nice thing if you spesified which platform your on, but as you don't, I presume it's Windows....

First of all, using Audacity for ripping a stream is overkill, and it will also fill your hardisk with uncompressed tempfiles until you render to mp3 or Ogg Vorbis. Secondly, you should never ever record a stream from the soundcard if you can rip the stream directly, as the sound quality resulting will be significantly compromised.

Personally I find Screamer Radio a nice streamripper. But there are several to choose from. If you go to hydrogenaudio.org and use their searchfunction much should be revealed.....

If you for some reason can't rip the stream directly, you should use a prog that encodes the soundcards output directly into mp3 or Ogg Vorbis, without large tempfiles. Personally I think HarddiskOgg is the best alternative I've found.It also offers the alternative to record into wav or lossless (Monkey's Audio) in addition to mp3 and Ogg Vorbis. For mp3 you must get the lame_enc.dll yourself, as they cannot include it for licensing issues. Get it here.

Both these programs are free.

Guest MRT

There's nothing simpler (or free-er) than 'soundcapture' from magicsofts

That's what I use

It records direct to mp3

You can then edit/tidy in audacity if you've got nothing better to do

Or compress to a smaller mp3 file using itunes

All for free

what a wonderful world

P

NEVER EVER TRANSCODE ALREADY COMPRESSED LOSSY FILES!!!!

Giving "advice" like this is pure vandalism! If you are going to edit or reencode the files after ripping/recording, then rip/record into wav or lossless. Transcoding lossy encodes, also mp3 => mp3, will produce pure crap garbage files.

If you have to split an mp3 file after encoding , try a non-reencoding direct splitter tool like mp3splt.