Sign in to follow this  
iKwak

Software shuts down as soon as the burning starts

HI there,

I have dragged all the files and folders that I wanted to burn to a new CDr disc. I clicked on the "Write the existing compilation" image, enabled Finalize Disc and writing speed to 24x, and as soon as I click Write Disc,

the software shuts down within few seconds.

I couldn't figure out what the problem is. I've tried several new cdr (Memorex), changed burning speed, disabled finalize disc option, and removed some files with long names.

Maybie event log in control panel can provide something useful.Did you checked it?

RedFalcon, how do you find the event log again? Thanks in advance.

This problem is getting annoying. It used to work fine months ago. Both CDr and DVDr has the same problem.

I have the same problem: xp-pro, sp2; drive is NEC ND-1100A on Dell Dimension 8300; cdb 3.0.116.

I load my saved compilation, hit Burn. The Burn window opens, The drive is initialized; then the program just quits. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the event log. I've disabled all virus-checkers; even tried a re-boot before burning. I'm logged in as an administrator. It's happened now three times in a row: very frustrating.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on?

... Sorry, I should have added: I'm trying to burn a data DVD: the compilation is most of my C drive (I'm trying to do a backup). I've tried two kinds of media, DVD+R and DVD+RW; same problem.

Still more:

I tried this with the alpha (3.5.101.4). The program itself is much faster at making up a compilation - congratulations! But the burn problem remains: after initialization, we quit. However, there is now (partial) error information, from the event log:

Faulting application cdbxpp.exe, version 3.5.101.4, faulting module dvdprox2.dll, version 1.0.0.5, fault address 0x0002bf31.

The error program itslf says that it created a .txt file containing extended information somewhere under Documents and Settings, but I can't find it.

Additonal info:

The compilation I was trying to burn: 4.38056G ; 8088 folders ; 148,834 files

I know that the particular brand of DVD+R I am using is compatible with the drive, because other apps (eg DVD-Shrink, using a Roxio dll) successfully burns to it.

Which raises a question: is it possible for CDB to utilize a Roxio (or other) dll, if available? Maybe that would help.

Hm, maybe we can get a new version of this DLL. I'll ask Stefan or Fredrik as soon as possible. So don't go away so that someone can test the new version (if it is available) ;)

A few more comments:

1. The problem (and the error indicators) are for the alpha running WITHOUT the .Net framework. I don't know if that's relevant; still I should have made it clear before.

2. More generally, this version of the alpha seems very susceptible to freezing when one attempts to minimize it, or switch to another app even whileCDB is still on screen. Again, I don't know if this is related to non-.Net usage. The freezing I found was in conjunction with trying to read in a previously saved compilation (.dxp) file. It may also be useful to know that this file was stored on a different drive from the CDB system itself.

3. One last remark: installing the alpha deletes the old (stable) version (even if you try to install to a clean folder): is this necessary? Given that it IS an alpha, wouldn't it make sense --- if possible --- to allow it and the stable release to coexist?

... Sorry, I should have added: I'm trying to burn a data DVD: the compilation is most of my C drive (I'm trying to do a backup). I've tried two kinds of media, DVD+R and DVD+RW; same problem.

How much space is free on the "C" drive?

On the C drive? 804MB (But recall that's not where the compilation was stored).

On the I drive I'm actually using for the stored compilation: 43GB.

3. One last remark: installing the alpha deletes the old (stable) version (even if you try to install to a clean folder): is this necessary? Given that it IS an alpha, wouldn't it make sense --- if possible --- to allow it and the stable release to coexist?

Does it? That's new to me.

I just noticed that the latest version of that file (1.0.0.8 ) should already be included in the alpha version. Since you apparently still have the old version (for a reason I don't understand), try to replace the old one by the new DLL file (see att).

Does it? That's new to me.

Yes it does. Could you (or someone) try to install first the stable version and then the alpha (to a different folder) and see what happens? (Maybe I did something wrong, but I don't see how I could have). In my case the folders were

[stable]: c:\ProgramFiles\CDBurnerXPPro3\

[alpha]: c:\ProgramFiles\CDBurnerXPPro-Alpha\

With the new dll - no joy, I'm afraid. Here's the error message:

AppName: cdbxpp.exe AppVer: 3.5.101.4 ModName: dvdprox2.dll

ModVer: 1.0.0.8 Offset: 0002c781

Note that I have 2 copies of this dll: one in windows' system32 folder, and one in cdb's libs folder. They are (now) both the same version. Is that what's wanted? It looks to me as if the cdb version is the one actually being used (the first time I replaced the dll I replaced only the one in the windows area, but the error message still referred to 1.0.5).

Is there any chance that all these problems (including the post that iso creation fails on the alpha) could be caused by trying to burn a compilation cotaining excessively long filenames (including paths)? In my case my backup compilation wanted to include the contents of the "Documents and Settings" folder, which certainly qualifies. What does CDB do when it comes upon a filename which exceeds eg the Joliet specification (also including depth) ?

On the C drive? 804MB (But recall that's not where the compilation was stored).

On the I drive I'm actually using for the stored compilation: 43GB.

You need to have cache space on your drive amounting to at least the size of the disc you are burning. That cache space has to be on the C:\ drive

Is there any chance that all these problems (including the post that iso creation fails on the alpha) could be caused by trying to burn a compilation cotaining excessively long filenames (including paths)?

I will check that.

I will check that.

The reason I thought that this could be a problem that when all efforts to get cdb to work failed, I tried another freeware solution: "HT Fireman". Its interface is a good deal less polished that CDB's; but it had one major advantage - it succesfully burned the compilation to dvd. As part of its operation, it refused to proceed until I had removed all offending too-long or too-deep files from the layou.

Guest some drunk

I had this problem after attempting to burn a backup of files from an old hard drive that I had added to my system for more storage. After reading all of the posts here, the only thing that I hadn't seen suggested was to look for abnormal file dates.

It turns out that there was one(!) particular file with a date/time of 2/7/2106 1:27am that CDBurnerXP didn't like. So check all of your file dates in your compilation if you are having this issue. The problem file that I found showed up as:

in Windows Explorer: 2/7/2106 1:28am

in CDBurnerXP: 1899-12-30 00:00

Yes, that's * 18 hundred 99 *! I think those qualify as both the oldest and newest file dates I have ever seen :D I changed the date and time on the file to present values and it burned without an issue.

It seems like it might be some kind of overflow error in displaying or storing dates in the compilation. BTW, ever hear of "error conditions" devs? Error messages even? :P Seriously though, I love CDBurnerXP and can't wait to see the new version. Thank you!!

System Details:

Windows XP Pro SP2

Asus MB, Celeron 2.0GHz, 512MB DDR, GeForce4 MX 4000,

60GB Seagate, 30GB Maxtor, onboard audio, onboard NIC, nothing else fancy

Lite-On LTR-12101B IDE CDRW (as reported in Device Manager)

CDBurnerXP 3.0.116

KHyperMedia 48x 80min CDR discs

Also, for the benefit of others, some terms I used when searching the forums: close closed closes exits shuts disappears

Hope this post helps some others with this problem!

Thanks for this information. We are not to blame though (most likely at least) since the problem exists in a file we did not create. I think that it should be possible to add counter-measures though.

Guest some drunk

Hi Flo. You are quite welcome.

Please understand that I am in no way blaming CDBurnerXP for creating the problem (invalid file/system date), but I can't tell you how many systems I have seen with the wrong date/time set which would then experience anything from small anomlies to downright system failure.

Granted you can't test for every single situation and there will always be bugs when certain situations are encountered, but IMO it falls back on the creators of software (OS, drivers, development tools, applications, utilities, whatever) to minimize the impact to the end user.

(steps off soapbox...)

That said, I'm still a huge fan of CDBurnerXP because the benefits far outweigh the very few and very small issues that I have had with it. It's simply a great piece of software, even if I won't be able to use it in the year 2106! :D