groston

Creating ISO file

My apologies if this sounds like a dumb question...

I have a ISO file. If I open the file (either via a decompression tool or by mounting it as CD), copy the files to a temporary folder, then use CDBurnerXP to recreate the ISO file, should I expect the original ISO file and the newly created one to be the exact same size?

I am asking because I essentially did the above (with the sole exception fo making a few minor edits to a <1 kB text file) and the new created ISO file was 1 MB larger than the original. The real problem is that the original ISO file (when burned to a CD) was bootable but my version was not (and the problem has nothing to do with the edits I made). Is it possible that the original was created on a Linux box and that my creating the ISO on my Windows box is the root cause of the problem?

Thanks!

No you should not. For bootable ISO images you need to specific an additional boot image before creating the ISO image. Just copy and pasting all files won't help.