Sign in to follow this  
Redoo

[X] Backup funktion !?!?!

I don't know how difficult it will be to realize it, but I think a backup funktion will be very nice! :lol:

So that I can regulary can backup my data with CDBXPP! :D

P.S.: I've said it once and i will say it again, your software is really great!

Cya, Redoo

Hm, there are already a few backup functions included. You can save your compilation in a file, each time you open it again to burn, the files will be updated and so you can use it as backup function. This will also be explained in new helpfile.

Yeah I know these features, but I mean a backup function which only burns the new files of a foulder an a cd/dvd! :?

Beacause I don't want to burn my whole data everytime! :D

I am sure that it will be integrated...but first the burning engine has to be improved...and multi-language is what all people want :)

Guest Kaiw

Why replace the files on a disc?

What about a function like this:

Image you can choose a modus "backup". CDBXPP could now start to burn a multisession disc. After burning the first session, it could be saved. Later you could open your Backup again and CDBXPP would have to look for the right disc to be inserted into the recorder.

If that disc matches the information stored in the savefile, then CDBXPP could begin looking for changes that have been made to the folders. Either it could look for filesize/DateTime or it could create checksums and compare them.

After doing this, CDBXPP would know which files are new to that backup or which files had been changed since last backup.

It could start burning a new session including the new/changed files. The work that has been done to such a backup disc could be stored in ascii files in the disc's root. One file for each session, explaining which changes had been made.

You wouldn't notice the sessions, because the disc's contents get changed with each backup.

And now, we have the backup that Redoo wants to do, without any difficult engine. :wink:

Greets,

Kai

Yes, sounds good :-)

But I think there still have to be some changes to the burning engine, with the current one this is not possible as you described it.

Guest Kaiw

I don't understand the problem with the burning engine!

CDBXPP can write multisession discs, can't it?

So, changes that have to be done to realize the backup function are not related to the burnung engine. CDBXPP just would have to burn a standard multisession disc.

But a new filetype (for example "CDBurnerXP Backup File") has to be created and CDBXPP needs the ability to recognize changes that have been made to a backup.

And I think this is not such a big problem. That's it!

So, changes that have to be done to realize the backup function are not related to the burnung engine. CDBXPP just would have to burn a standard multisession disc.

Well, that is the problem. As far as I know, CDBXPP can't change files on a disc yet.

However, I will make a test again later to be sure :)

Why change the files?? There's no need to change any files on the backup disc!

New oder changed files are just burned with the next session, and then the dics's contents get updated, so it just SEEMS like the files have been changed! Understand?

I know how that works. But CDBXPP can't "update the Disc contents". I just tested. It adds the new file as [originalfilename]~1.[extenstion] to the disc.

Ok, you're right (Nero can update the disc contents).

But there are other possibilities. For each new session you could add a new folder. That would be a solution only for new files.

For changed files, CDBXPP needs a restore function. Then it could burn the files like you showed it (~) and by doing a restore it could copy the newest version of that file and then rename it to its original name.

But now it's getting more work (but still no need for a new burning engine).

Greets,

Kai

An improved buring engine needs to be done anyway. So I suggest an advanced back-up function will be available after a new burning engine.