Sign in to follow this  
Guest RD

Optimal Speed for burning

Guest RD

After I rip a cd using cdburnerxppro in wav format and then burn the wav to a cd-r, it always seems to auto select 12x as optimal speed to burn. Isn't that too fast for optimal quality? When I tried to burn at 2x the cd drawer opened before it completely burned the cd and stopped the process. Can't it bunr at 1x or 2x without aborting?

Thank you

I think that 12x speed is the optimal. Did you already test the results with that speed?

And is the CD readable when you burn with lower speeds?

Guest RD

The CD plays ok buned at 12x. I have not been able to burn at slower speed like 2x since as I mentioned, the cd drawer pops open in the middle of burning and it aborts. I was just wondering why 12x would be optimal when I always remember reading that it is best to burn at 1x or real time for optimal sound quality. Why would 12x produce a better sounding disc than at a slower speed?

Thank you

Guest trickynic

FWIW: When I'm burning audio CDs, I find that 12 x is the fastest that the CD can be played in "older" cd players and my car changer. I have found that 8x or 4x makes the disc much more reliable and less susceptible to skipping jumping, so I tend to use 4x.

A 20x burned disc plays very poorly, if at all in older cd players.

I've used media from 16x to 52x.

Using different recorders, they seems to support different speeds with the same software.

nic.

Usually it does not matter what speed you use for burning if the burner, the medium and the player supports it. Quality should not vary with different speeds.