Sign in to follow this  

Freeware Thread

As is a custom in most forums, there is a freeware app thread in there somewhere!!! So here is my little list :o

Internet:

- Sygate Personal Firewall ⌠ My firewall! Passed all of these tests ( https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 ) so works for me!

- Maxthon Web Browser ☺ My default browser. IE shell. I think to those people that complain about security, if you had any inkling about how to protect yourself on the internet, then you wouldnt have a single problem with IE. Anways...

- Instant Messenger 2 ☺ A young IM program that has a brilliant future....

- Weather Watcher ☺ The best weather program, IMO. With 5.6 coming out soon, its only getting better!

- Shareaza ☺ Do I need to say anything? Connects to 3 networks, is open source, and finds everything I need!

- Ares ☺ I use Ares to find music.... I find it very fitting for that task. Dont know why.

Games:

- Snok ☺ Anyone up for some 3D snake?

- Carom3D ☺ One of the best pool games out there, with great graphics. And its free!

- Soldat ☺ An addicting 2D multiplayer shooter.....

- America's Army ☺ Made by the US army, its basically a recruiting tool. But its still a damn good game :rolleyes:

- Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory ☺ A game just like America's Army, a 3rd person shooter

- Shot-Online ☺ A great 3D golf game/rpg

- Armagetron ☺ Anyone here played Tron? Same deal, except 3D and more players

- Realm Wars ☺ A great looking first person shooter that is still in beta (open source). Huge potential...

- Cube ☺ Similar to Realm Wars (open source and all), although I havent tested this one extensively...

- Sonic Robo Blast II - Questionable graphics, but it still is entertaining! It's Sonic!

- KartingRace ☺ A great go-karting game that has potential, but still needs lots of work.

- GunBound ☺ Similar to Worms (or so I hear :P ), this game is very addicting...

- Absolute Mastermind ☺ As the name suggests, its Mastermind!

Media Players:

- Quintessential Player ☺ My main audio player, this is better than WinAmp in that it is still being developed, and that it uses a lot less memory, etc.

- Foobar2000 ☺ My secondary audio player, I just have this on my computer for no reason at all. Quintessential Player is much better :lol:

- ZoomPlayer ☺ My main video player, this player can play just about any type of file. I dislike VLC..

- BSplayer ☺ My secondary video player, just like foobar, have it on my computer for no real reason.

Graphics Apps:

- Paint.NET ☺ A powerful PhotoShop like app, that is open source and like the GIMP, with a much better interface.

- Faststone Viewer ☺ My default image viewer, because I believe this is better than XnView and IrfanView ;)

- Faststone Capture ☺ My only screen capture utility, and I love it!

- PhotoFiltre ☺ My secondary image editor, this is a nice easy to use piece of software!

- GetColor! ☺ If I get a picture off the internet, and want to edit it, I can get the RGB value of any pixel on that picture! Very nice!

Protection:

- Avast Antivirus ☺ A nice antivirus software that is very effective in doing its job!

- Ad-Aware ☺ Has a good scanner that picks up most adware, spyware, tracking cookies, etc!

- Spybot Search & Destroy (and TeaTimer) ☺ Spybot Search & Destroy picks up anything Ad-Aware misses. TeaTimer comes with Spybot, and monitors the registry for changes. Very good!

- SpywareBlaster ☺ This prevents the installation of some spyware + adware!

- SpywareGuard ☺ A real-time spyware guard (hence the name) that is similar to an antivirus software's.

- Process Explorer ☺ If you've ever wondered where a process is coming from, this might be some good software for you!

- CurrPorts ☺ This program allows you to view opened TCP/IP ports and UDP ports. You can also kill the process that opened the ports, if malicious, etc.

Misc.:

- IZArc ☺ A great archive utility that supports almost 40 compression types, and is very easy to use.

- TUGZip ☺ An archive utility that is actually UPDATED and may soon replace IZArc.......

- OpenOffice.org ☺ OpenOffice.org 1.1.3 greatly disappointed me, but after looking at the snapshot builds of 2.0, it looks like I might be back to using OpenOffice again!

- CD Burner XP Pro ☺ A free CD/DVD burning tool, that works real well and has a nice and easy interface.

- Winwall ☺ A wallpaper changer that sits in your system tray where you can randomly change your wallpaper..... Very useful for me! :rolleyes:

- LClock ☺ A nice looking replacement taskbar clock that has an EXCELLENT calendar! :D

- TimeLeft ☺ A desktop clock that includes a timer, countdown, alarm...

- Neowin.net UXTheme patch ☺ Change that default ugly Windows visual style into something more beautiful :lol: ! Once you have UXTheme.dll patched, go here for some nice visual styles!

- Easy Cleaner ☺ One of my many registry cleaners, this also looks for useless temp files, as well as duplicate files, etc.

- RegSeeker ☺ Another registry cleaner, this also includes a search feature to look for those damn extra Norton keys, as well as some windows tweaks ;)

- RegCleaner ☺ Yet another registry cleaner that serves its own purpose....

- RegScrubXP ☺ My last registry cleaner that also serves its own purpose.

- CLCL ☺ A great clipboard caching program

- ArsClip ☺ Another great clipboard caching program! Can't decide between this or CLCL =X

- PureText ☺ Quote: "Have you ever copied some text from a web page, a word document, help, etc., and wanted to paste it as simple text into another application without getting all the formatting from the original source? PureText makes this simple." I agree :)

- X-Setup Pro ☺ This is one of my tweaking programs that has a TON of options (Quote: "More than 1.700 hidden functions can be controlled.") ...

- XP AntiSpy ☺ Another tweaking utility that is also very useful.....

- TuneXP ☺ Yet another tweaking utility. Trust me, all 3 have their own purpose.

- FreeRam XP Pro ☺ This program does exactly as it says, frees RAM up!

All of the above is freeware, remember ;)

:x :P

Well, your media management doesn't seem to be very good. Four media-progs. I only need two, and those are foobar and MediaPlayerClassic, the latter only for video and the first for audio.

- Foobar2000 ☺ My secondary audio player, I just have this on my computer for no reason at all. Quintessential Player is much better Laughing

Quintessential isn't great at all in my opionion. Foobar is really great, but you have to spend some time with config. At the end you get a very fast, nice and versatile audio player instead of one of those bloated "klickibunti" (as we germans say) -interface programs. My tip: Uninstall every program you don't need. I personally became a very minimalistic person over the time, who only installs programs he really needs (that has some advantages). I also don't have a Firewall (apart from SP2) or Antivirus installed. I use Firefox and Thundebrird, so no virus will get on my PC without that I know it, and if I am really not sure about a file, I use the on-demand-scanner ClamWin to check it. My router cares about protection against hackers etc.

The same is with Messegner2. MirandaIM is much better, it is some kind of foobar for instant messaging.

Another recommendation is Webmon which automatically checks any webpage for updates.

For emails you didn't mention anything...my favourite one you can find in my signature ;)

And last but not least I recommend Eclipse(.org) as IDE for webpage devlopment, but I guess you are more a sort of person who doesn't bother with programming ;)

Guest Runelord

Actually, I have 5 media players, if you include WMP. But I just uninstalled foobar and bsplayer, you were right. Anyways....

Believe it or not, BTW, foobar took up 8.59 MB on my computer, and about 4 MB ram (12 MB virtual mem) and QCD takes up 4.49 MB, 5 MB ram (15 MB virtual mem). So the "bloated" QCD wins (the default skin is bloated, find another skin and your good)! I've tried Miranda; I like IM2 more. You seem to obviously be a minimalist, so if Miranda works for you, so be it. As for email, I don't use POP3 or IMAP, they have webmail for a reason :lol:

Finally, i'm still learning the trade of programming; I know a little VB6 and some Java... :wink:

Believe it or not, BTW, foobar took up 8.59 MB on my computer, and about 4 MB ram (12 MB virtual mem) and QCD takes up 4.49 MB, 5 MB ram (15 MB virtual mem). So the "bloated" QCD wins (the default skin is bloated, find another skin and your good)!

I hate _every_ skin :-P

That's also why I still use the standard windows theme (that means Luna for XP not, that gray thing from win2000).

In most cases, skins are bad. Foobar uses standard GUI elements (in most cases) and that is why I like it :)

I've tried Miranda; I like IM2 more. You seem to obviously be a minimalist, so if Miranda works for you, so be it. As for email, I don't use POP3 or IMAP, they have webmail for a reason :lol:

:roll:

Finally, i'm still learning the trade of programming; I know a little VB6 and some Java... :wink:

I like Webdevelopment more than creating "real" programs...it is just too complicated ;)

I hate _every_ skin

I couldn't agree more :D

That's also why I still use the standard windows theme (that means Luna for XP not, that gray thing from win2000).

You should really consider the grey skin beeing the default one ;)

With the Win Server versions, Microsoft didn't even ship that Luna thingy.

Regards, Lars

As for email, I don't use POP3 or IMAP, they have webmail for a reason

It's for those out there, that can't distinguish between Word and the operating system and think that the internet == the web browser.

The problem with a howl bunch of software you listed, is that they don't run unter Windows NT(3/4/5). This starts with the problem, that they often save their settings in the application folder (and the HKEY_local_machine trey of the registry) and not in the folder for the user settings. And ends with the path to the usersettings not beeing stored relative to the profiles folder of the user, so that the software will not work in domain environments. Not to mention caches stored in the wrong locations, rendering network profiles unusable.

Back in the active Atari days, such a software was simply called "Schweinesoftware"

Firefox/Mozilla are the most promient examples: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74085

Regards, Lars

Good news :)

With the Win Server versions, Microsoft didn't even ship that Luna thingy.

Hm, that gray is a bit too depressing/boring. I prefer a bit more lively colours.

I would just like to add to the list, but I'm to lazy to sort them into any catagories. So if you're curious about one, just do a google search.

Here's the list:

Thunderbird

Firefox

MozBackup

Faststone Image Viewer

Desktop Sidebar

MirandaIM

Open Office

TUGZip

TrueCrypt

Musikcube

KCEasy

GrabIT

Quickpar

Maxthon

Paint.NET

The GIMP

GnuPG/GPGShell

Media Player Classic

NexPad

DHShutdown

Kerio Personal Firewall

SmoothWall

DVD Shrink

DVD Decrypter

TMPGenc

VirtualDubMod

AutoGK

D.I.K.O

Bonkenc

KProbe 2

RegSeeker

REGOPTNT

IsoBuster

DAEMON Tools

And of course CDBurnerXP Pro

I generaly only have 1 Graphic editor installed at any one time, recently I've been using the Paint.NET app instead of The GIMP. SmoothWall is a standalone firewall that I'm currrently looking into. So if you're interested in any of the listed apps, feel free to look them up.