Sign in to follow this  
hkm

Burning LFN over 64 char in Win98SE?

I have a question I've posted a while ago to alt.comp.freeware, but haven't received a definitive answer yet.

Simply: it it possible to burn long filenames that exceed 64 characters in Windows 98 SE? I've tried with several options in CDBurnerXP, but haven't been able to get past the 64 character limit. My question is: is this even possible in Win98SE? I've been looking at both CD burning and backup software that has the ability to do this, but am coming up empty. So, my current feeling is that this isn't possible.

Specifically, is there a way around the Joliet Names 64 character limit?

Ideally, I'd like support for ISO Level 4, which allows 207 characters.

So far, I've had to manually cut the filenames with a freeware tool called "Long Filename Finder." It shows me the files that exceed X number of characters.

I'm not interested in just truncating all -- there are several freeware tools that can do this, taking out whitespace, or just chopping off the last X number of characters. But since my filenames have important info that I want to preserve, in burning to CD, I am looking here for some help.

I've also looked at the excellent CD-R Recording FAQ, but this didn't specifically answer my question.

I think I know that the answer is that this is impossible, but am looking for a definitive answer.

And ideas will be entertained!

Thanks!

Kittie Spit

So in other words CDBurnerXP does not yet support longer filenames.

Yes, CDBurnerXP decidedly does support longer filenames as the OP indicates. It's just that > 64 is not allowed in Win98SE, as far as I can tell. That means that CDBurnerXP supports, for example, ISO Level 4, meaning it can take filenames up to 207 characters. Now, your OS may not allow that many characters, which is my problem burning files on an old 98 pc.

But, again, yes indeed CDBurnerXP will take 207 characters, fully implementing ISO Level 4. Tho the limitation here would be your Operating System.

To ensure this, be sure to check your filename options in CDBurnerXP.

It has nothing to do with Windows 98, Joliet is limited to 64 characters, ISO Level 1 is limited to 8.3 characters, and ISO Level II is limited to 31 characters.

Sorry, I don't understand, then, why I can't burn ISO Level 4 [or even Level 3] in Win98. Could it be that these standards were instituted after Win98 or otherwise not available/compatible withr Win98?

Sorry to ask, but could you please explain this? I've tried every filename length option in CDBurnerXP running on a Win98SE and can't do LFN over 64 characters. This leads me to think that it's a Win98 issue, certainly NOT a CDBurnerXP issue, since it works just fine for Level 4 burning my my XP.

Thanks!

why I can't burn ISO Level 4 [or even Level 3] in Win98. Could it be that these standards were instituted after Win98 or otherwise not available/compatible withr Win98?

Best I can tell googling is that Windows 98 just doesn't recognize ISO above level 2.

Best I can tell googling is that Windows 98 just doesn't recognize ISO above level 2.

Thanks, that's kinda what I thought. But, I'm trying another CD burner freeware program, "Easy Burning" w*w.paehl-info.de [i'm not sure what the rules here are for posting links to other similar freeware products, so change that * to a w.] My apologies if I'm doing a baddie here, but am posting this info as a possible answer to my own question that may help others in similar situations.

I've contacted the author of above prog, who says that his product should be able to do 103-207 characters under Win98SE. He says he tried it "once with success." [He no longer owns a Win98SE computer, so his experience may be a couple of versions ago of his proggie.] In other words, with EB this would do ISO Level 4 on Win98SE. I'm honestly sceptical, but will try. "Easy Burning" also has the ability to do UDF [universal Disk Format], something popularized by prods like Roxio Easy CD-DVD Creator, formerly Adaptec DirectCD. Now, if it does indeed do all this on an old Win98SE, that'd be wonderful news for me and people in similar situations.

Using the UDF format is a partial answer to my problem, but I really didn't want to do UDF to begin with, since if you're sharing CD's with others, they'd have to have a freeware UDF reader or Roxio installed. My original goal was to backup/burn CD's with a maximum filename length close to ISO Level 4, 207 characters, but if I had to settle for the previous standars, 103 characters, that'd be OK.

I simply started this post because I wanted to do in excess of 64 characters on a Win98SE, but could find nothing via Google that explicitly told me this was not possible.

FYI, the above-references "Easy Burning" site has several other freeware CD-DVD burning utilities that may be of some use to people here.

Again, my intention was to get as much helpful info as I could. Don't get me wrong: I LOVE CDBurnerXP on my WinXP computer--don't know what I'd do without it. I'm just looking for the best fit for my situation with extra LFN under Win98SE, sort of a learning experience for me. In no way a "slam" against CDBurnerXP, a wonderful proggie.

In any case, I'll give Easy Burning a try and report back on my findings.

Thanks again for all the help!