Sign in to follow this  
Darrabban

Problems with images burned as files

I have following problem, and I will try to do my best to describe it as precisely as I can. I made some CD images of various software - mostly games, but also some programs with my Nero Burning Rom (version 6.3.1.10 if that helps in any way) that I burned onto a DVD media as a backup. Problem is: those images are not working.

To describe it a bit further: I used CD copy with "Delete image after copy" turned off, so when I do a copy of disc the image remains. I made all images in a classic mode with nrg extension using Nero Burning ROM only. However - I used software CDBurnerXP Pro to burn those images to a DVD-Rewriteable eProformance media (I noticed that CDBurnerXP Pro offers more reliable burning to DVD+RW media than Nero). All CD-copy to get the image was done from a Toshiba DVD-ROM drive, and then burned with before mentioned software on Pioneer 106D DVD Writer. All CD copy and burning operations went successfully.

I decide to make images for purpose of archiving on DVD Media (6-7 times more capacity), and then burning those images as a single file to use them later when needed. So I made simple data DVD with CDBurnerXP Pro that contained several image files with before mentioned .nrg extension. Trouble was - when I tried later on to burn those images using the same version of Nero I made them - they were "unreadable". First of all, when I clicked an image, a window named "Foreign Image Settings" appeared where I needed to specify what type of image I wanted to burn. That was already strange for me because Nero always recognizes the type by default and offers burning screen right away. There were 4 types I could choose: Data Mode 1 or Data Mode 2, Audio & HFS. I could also change block settings & check or uncheck Scrambled and Swapped box. Whatever option I did choose, a message followed that entered block size does not correspond to image length and that the block size might be wrong. Thinking that images usually burn at Data Mode 1 I selected that option and tried to burn CD with simulation on.

The CD burned successfully, but it didn't show ANY file, when I clicked on properties of the CD, it showed that Data was burned (the same size of image - in my case 559 Mb) but there wasn't any label. On windows explorer however drive showed that the disc was in and the label was simply "Cd". But any file or data couldn't be accessed; looking like it was a perfectly blank disc.

I tried to open them with CDBurnerXP Pro, only to find that nrg file extensions were not supported (what is logical anyway because it is Nero’s format), only real ISO images.

When I tried to mount the image using Nero Image Drive - it was mounted successfully but again the same problem. Files were not visible and impossible to access to.

I tried other software then, UltraISO version 7.1 for opening and modifying ISO images. But when I tried to open it – it simply stated “ISO 9660 Volume not Found!”

But most importantly: I burned one DVD of images with Nero (not CDBurnerXP Pro) that were made exactly the SAME way (cd copy by the same version of Nero) and funny thing is – all those images WERE READABLE! Only the later images made with Nero and then burned with CDBurnerXP Pro didn’t work. So I presume it’s something with the settings of CDBurnerXP Pro.

My question is – was I using wrong burning settings maybe with CDBurnerXP Pro? Does anything prohibits burning images as simple files? (I mean – you burn mp3’s or jpg photos as files and they are all readable – why would images be any different?) Is there any way to make those images work and burn on CD? Or at least to extract all the data from them? My operation system is Windows 98SE, and my ASPI version is 4.72 if that is of any help.

I am really lost here, so I could use any and all help you can give me.

Thank you in advance

I made 4 DVD+RW with images in the manner I described, and all 4 of them are having completely the same problem. So I lost around 23-24 CD worth of data here within those images...

I need to emphasize once more - I burned those images as files with *.nrg extension, not the content of them.

Why they aren't readable - I still can't figure out.

So any suggestions are pretty much welcomed

Regards,

Robert

I made a test image that is 1.57 Mb size (800Kb zipped) which was burned exactly the same way and shows exactly the same problem, and I send it to the Nero staff for some testing. However - I believe the failure is when burning with CDBrunerXP so I would like to send that testing image here also, to whoever has the time and will to check it.

Regards,

Robert

OK, here is the test image (it contains three files - picture, zip file of the picture and a word document) - it cannot be opened or burned by Nero, but I haven't tested it with other software.

Good luck with it :wink:

Regards,

Robert