Sign in to follow this  
jonath24

Disable ISO File Delimiters makes bootable CD unreadable

This topic seems to be discussed and closed before, but it still exists in 3.0.116 (the latest download available).

In particular, if you make a bootable CD using the following parameters, the CD is unreadable in Windows XP.

File System: Joliet

Emulation Type: No Emulation

Load Segment: 7C0

Sectors: 4

Platform: 80x86

Disable ISO File Delimiters

No Enforce ISO Level1

Boot Image is taken from a Windows XP bootable installation CD using ISOBuster.

Basically, I am slipstreaming a Windows XP installation CD. Disabling ISO delimiters is necessary to make such a CD. Otherwise, the CD could not boot (can't find NTLDR).

Interestingly, this problem also exists in Cheetah CD Burner.

I encountered the exact same problem and was able to work around the problem by first creating an ISO image, and then burning that ISO image to CD.

Could you tell me which software you used to create the ISO image? Does CDBurnerXP Pro do it? (I have uninstalled the S/W and so I have to ask here)

Thanks.

Could you tell me which software you used to create the ISO image? Does CDBurnerXP Pro do it?

I used CDBurnerXP Pro to create the ISO image.

I used the following menu item: File > Save image as ISO File

You should receive a window that allows you to set the labels and boot options.

Once these are configured (you already have the correct settings in your original post), you can create the ISO.

--

Romel

I'm trying to do the same thing; build an XP Boot CD with SP2 slipstreamed in and am encountering the same problem.

When I build a bootable CD with ISO File Delimiters NOT Disabled then the disk immediately fails to boot with "Cannot Find NTLDR".

If, however, I Disable ISO File Delimiters then, although the disk appears empty in XP, it starts to boot correctly, loading all the drivers until it gets to "Setup Starting Windows" when it crashes with a blue STOP screen saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME or PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

Enforcing ISO Level1 or not, makes not a blind bit of difference.

I don't think the solutions offered here and in http://cdburnerxp.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2885 actually solve the problem; they are more like workarounds. The Stickys are not much help either.

I can already build an ISO file (using the BCD package) and burn that using various CD tools including BCD. I thought the whole idea of CD BurnerXP in this respect, was to assemble all the necessary files and burn a bootable CD direct from these. Why the need to do this in 2 stages: 1) Build an ISO and 2) Burn it?

The only reason I got CD BurnerXP was to burn bootable OS CDs direct from files. I already had software to burn CDs from ISOs.

Are the any parameters to CD BurnerXP that will enable this to happen?

In fact, as I've just tried, getting CD BurnerXP to produce an ISO file first (Save Image as ISO File) and then burning that (Write Disc from ISO File), as you recommend, produces exactly the same fault, "Cannot Find NTLDR", as trying to do it directly. Also the resultant CD is exactly the same size.

However, as I know from previously, CD BurnerXP will produce correctly bootable CDs from ISO files generated by other packages, like BCD.

This proves that the fault lies with CD BurnerXP's generation of an ISO image from the source contents files and not with the actual writing of the CD. Also its resultant ISO file is slightly larger than that produced by the other CD tools; 665.50 Mb v 664.88 Mb.

Consequently, all I can trust CD BurnerXP to do for me is to write bootable ISO files to CDs. My other CD tools will do this anyway. What they don't all do is assemble the ISO file in the first place, which is why I downloaded CD BurnerXP. :cry:

Guest Michael (Gast)

Hi,

I suspect that this behaviour is due to the fact, that the folder depth of a slipstreamed WinXP is larger than 8. Other software like Nero or Win on CD offer the option to ignore this restriction.

Michael

Guest Michael (Gast)

So, I just verified this: I deleted the i386\ASMS directory from the compilation and created a bootable ISO file. Now, the installation (I'm using VMWare to test) seems to work.

It would be nice, if "override folder restrictions" were implemented in 3.5 :-)

Michael

This looked very promising until I tried it.

I even stripped out my OEM's drivers (up to 6 levels of folder) and the other tools on the Windows CD, to build a minimal CD of mostly the I386 folder minus ASMS. It still failed to boot:"Cannot Find NTLDR".

I even tried to build an original Windows CD without SP2 slipstreamed. This failed in the same way.

So I can't find any way to get CD BurnerXP to produce correctly bootable ISO images itself. All it will do for me is burn ISO images generated by other packages.

:( Sorry, at first this seemed most plausable thing I'd heard so far.

Guest Michael (Gast)

:?: Michael, what was the "Disable ISO File Delimiters" parameter set to, when it worked for you?

Yes, I set that Option manually. It ist essential for creating a bootable NT5-CD.

The CD I created booted and installed fine, but the setup failed due to the missing ASMS directory I removed previously.

regards,

Michael

Now, I am registered.;)

The option "Disable ... Limiters" must be enabled, of course.

at first this seemed most plausable thing I'd heard so far.

It is the only possibility. I had tried Win On CD 6 PE from Roxio

(free download:

http://www.roxio.de/adban/download/wino ... ncd6pe.exe (151 MB), registration required: http://www.winoncd.de/woc6registration/index.php )

it warned me about the folder depth and offered an option to solve that problem. Nero (not Express) also has options to allow larger folder depths.

The boot settings required can be set in all programs, except Nero Express.

So, it is not possible to build a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD using CDburner XP Ver 3.0x. We have to wait for Ver 3.5 or use something else.

regards, Michael

The CD I created booted and installed fine, but the setup failed due to the missing ASMS directory I removed previously.

Michael,

How did the setup fail? What message did you get?

And what was the failure before you removed ASMS?

Can you see the file contents of the CD thru Windows Explorer? I think it should look empty.

I'd just like to know to see if I got to the same point.

Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.