Sign in to follow this  
Guest User98

CDBurnerXP on Win98SE

Guest User98

Has anyone successfully run CDBurnerXP version 2.2.5 on Win98 SE? The last time I tried this program it constatly crashed and also pulled down Windows 98.

Tanx!

Guest JohnB

I am running Windoze 98SE, 4.10.222A I think this is with a support pack installed, but I'm not too sure.

I have not played with all the features yet.

The ripper works well, but will not shut down properly. The only way to get it cleared off the system is to shut down using the off button. If anyone else reads this and knows a way around this, I'd appreciate knowing it.

The burner appears to work without a problem, except it seems VERY slow (compared to Nero).

I am running Windoze 98SE, 4.10.222A I think this is with a support pack installed, but I'm not too sure.

Do you mean "Service Pack"? If so, I don't think you have, because there are no Service Packs for W98/ME as far as I know.

The ripper works well, but will not shut down properly. The only way to get it cleared off the system is to shut down using the off button. If anyone else reads this and knows a way around this, I'd appreciate knowing it.

This is a bug and we don't know a workaround...I hope it will be fixed soon.

The burner appears to work without a problem, except it seems VERY slow (compared to Nero).

What is slow? The burning process? If so, try to increase burning speed, maybe it is detected wrong by VDBurnerXP Pro.

Guest JohnB

Guest JohnB

Not too sure how that happened. I was using the "Back" button to get back to where I was from someplace else and wound up back here somehow. I didn't click on "Submit" again, but I guess it did anyway.

Sorry.

Please DO NOT take this as the definitive answer, but as to burning speed, I manually set 48X for the media I was using in either Nero or CDBurnerXP 'cause that's the posted max for that media (even though my burner will do 52).

I can burn about 70 minutes of music using Nero in about 20 minutes (or maybe 25). When first using CDBurnerXP out of the box (as in I didn't fool with it), it took about an hour to burn about 35 minutes of music.

CDBurnerXP appeared to stop periodically to refill the buffer, then spin up and write, then stop to full the buffer, etc. Nero appears to dynamically refill the buffer on the fly. The burner doesn't stop spinning until the CD is done.

Maybe I have to play with some settings or something???

I'm still playing with it.

Not too sure how that happened. I was using the "Back" button to get back to where I was from someplace else and wound up back here somehow. I didn't click on "Submit" again, but I guess it did anyway.

Sorry.

No problem :D

Please DO NOT take this as the definitive answer, but as to burning speed, I manually set 48X for the media I was using in either Nero or CDBurnerXP 'cause that's the posted max for that media (even though my burner will do 52).

I can burn about 70 minutes of music using Nero in about 20 minutes (or maybe 25). When first using CDBurnerXP out of the box (as in I didn't fool with it), it took about an hour to burn about 35 minutes of music.

CDBurnerXP appeared to stop periodically to refill the buffer, then spin up and write, then stop to full the buffer, etc. Nero appears to dynamically refill the buffer on the fly. The burner doesn't stop spinning until the CD is done.

Maybe I have to play with some settings or something???

I'm still playing with it.

Hm, did you try the things on the FAQ page listened below "bufferunderrun problems" or something like this?

Guest JohnB

Not yet. I'll go have a look and see what I can find. I'll also see what other settings I can play with. I probably won't be able to post again until next weekend.

Thanx

Guest JohnB

I did some more testing, paying attention to the suggestions in the FAQ about Buffer-Underrun Restrictions. I was hoping there was a good possibility that my virus protection was slowing the process. Apparently not.

Here are some particulars:

I am running Windoze 98SE, 4.10.222A. I have a recently aquired BUSLink External USB drive.

Before starting CDBurnerXP, I stopped almost everything on my PC. Here is what was left running:

Explorer

Tppaldr - I forgot to shut it down

Syntpenh

Syntplpr

Systray

I had a selection of music I had previously burned using Nero. The total time os the music recorded is 72 minutes, 43 seconds.

Nero burned this in 20 to 25 minutes.

CDBurnerXP burned the same selection in 105 minutes.

In CDBurnerXP, Detect Speed Optimals was disabled and the write speed was manually set to 48x 7200 kB/s. This is the same burn speed used in Nero and is the maximum specified on the media.

The Writing Method was left on Automatic.

As I mentioned previously, CDBurnerXP appeared to stop periodically to refill the buffer, then spin up and write, then stop to full the buffer, etc. I was hoping this was because of the Virus Protection Software, but it turns out that it is apparently not.

I am haveing the same issue. The program stops while the buffer loads then it stops and writes to the CD. The process then repeats itself until the CD is done.

Guest Romaric

I do have the same kind of problem..

I'm on W98SE 4.10.2222 A.

I had a cd burner (Lite-On It LTR-48125W w/ 52x speed) that worked perfectly with CDBurnerXP Pro (from 6 up to 10 minutes to burn a 700Mb Data or 80MIN Audio with 40x speed).

Then I bought a DVD burner (Sony DW-D22A 16x) and tried to burn.. First worked well.. Less than 10 minutes for a 4Gb DVD with 8x speed.. And now problem of any kind..

Then, after maybe 6 or 8 months, it got extremly slow (about 45 minutes for a CD 40x and an hour and a half for a DVD 8x).

Also, with DVDs, DVD players (LG) was unable to read it.. After 2-3 minutes searching, finnaly said there where no media in the player..

I thought my burner was dead but didn't need much burn at this time so didn't do anything.. Lately, I wanted to make a full backup of my files so I took a DVD burner from one my friend's computer (HL-DT-ST GWA-4164B, 16x/DVD and I think 40x/CD) and put it on my computer.

The exact same deal happend.

Tried to put the DVD player (The Sony one) to some other computer.. Exact same deal !!

I saw on telecharger.com (french version of download.com) that some other people had the same problem..

I also tried to burn from 2 different HD on the same computer and it didn't make any difference..

The second DVD (HL-DT-ST) worked fine on Windows XP..

Is there a missing file on W98SE that make that happend?

I can't copy my files to a Windows XP Hard Drive because of the format (W98 works on FAT32).. So I'm stocked..

Please help me if you can..

Note : My 2 computers are not very old (AMD XP 2700 and AMD XP 1700.. 512 and 256 Mo DDR.. 2x120+160 IDE HD traveling from one to an other..)

Thanks

Romaric

PS : Sorry about my english..