Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

ISO CD image reportedly burnt OK, but fails IsoBuster check

Guest Guest

Hi there.

I burned an ISO image on a CD-R, setting the option to finalize the CD, and as far as CDBurnerXP reported, everithing went just fine.

Being the first CD I burned with CDBurnerXP, I checked by re-extracting the ISO from the CD-R with IsoBuster, and it differed in that it is 2048 bytes longer than the original ISO file. IsoBuster also says that it cannot read the last sector, so I omitted it in order to obtain this ISO image (if I filled it with zeros instead of omitting it, I got a 4K chunk instead). The added 2048-bytes chunk seems to contain only zeros.

The ISO image I used was the 3rd CD of CentOS 4.2 (available here).

My recorder is a BenQ 52x32x52 CD-RW.

Oh, and this happened while using CDBurnerXP version 3.0.116. OK, I've seen this warning on the sticky msg: "If you experience another problem with version 3.0.x there is no need to report it since there won't be any fixes for version 3.0.x in the future. Currently we are developing the next version 3.5. Feel free to report bugs for this version."

BUT I'm reporting this in case this bug is still present in the latest beta. I read all the posts here and couldn't find exactly this same problem, so this issue might still be present on the latest beta. I can't check that beta myself because I'm not a donor, and I don't want to be one until I can check out a public release that works reasonably well.

Ariel

Guest Guest

I didn't find that link to be really relevant. It talks about the upcoming version (13 pages of that), but doesn't mention anything like this bug as far as I could see. It explains that version 3.5 is a complete rewrite, but that rewrite might only repeat border-condition bugs like this one.

Although there is something interesting there, where you say that you cannot change the "burning library" for some unknown reason (BTW, who provides that library to you anyway?). The fact that you are not going to change that "burning library" makes me think it's quite probable that this bug is still there on the latest version, since this bug indicates corruption on the burned data which could come from that "burning library". Of course, it could also come from a bad usage of that library (such as a bad sized buffer), and the bug might still be present, whether rewritten from scratch or inherited from old code.

One way or the other, I think this corruption bug is worth checking out.

Ariel

On second reading... found the download link to version 3.5.101.4 . I'll test it sometime, and let you know how it went. Thanks.

Ariel

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.