sldvd

Does CDBurnerXP check for cells suitable for layer break on DL DVDs?

I used ImgBurn recently to try to burn a VIDEO_TS folder onto a dual layer DVD.  It gave me a warning saying it couldn't find a cell that could be used for the layer break, and it said it did not recommend continuing to burn the disc.  I went on the ImgBurn forum and asked what exactly could go wrong if I went ahead and burned the disc.  The ImgBurn developer replied saying it wouldn't be compliant with the DVD spec and some DVD players might freeze when they hit the layer break.  He pointed me to a guide to fix the problem, and it involved downloading a tool called VOBBlanker and using it to split one of the cells in a VOB file.

I didn't bother with that, and downloaded CDBurnerXP instead.  CDBurnerXP didn't give me any errors when I burned the dual layer DVD (used the Video DVD mode and all the default Burn options).  I'm just curious if CDBurnerXP does anything with the cells for the layer break?  Or could the ImgBurn developer be right and it's possible some players might freeze on the layer break?

I'm confused - does CDBurnerXP use StarBurn?  Because I didn't mention StarBurn, just ImgBurn.  I was just wondering if CDBurnerXP does anything with the cells on the layer break.  It sounds like if the burner software can write one cell completely on one side of the layer break, and then the next cell completely on the other side of the layer break, then there won't be any problems.  If a cell is written so that it overlaps the layer break, then some DVD players have may problems with that, apparently.  Does CDBurnerXP try to ensure there's no cell that overlaps the layer break?

Yes, CDBurnerXP uses the StarBurn burning API (not the end user software StarBurn develops). So the knowledge of technical details is on their side, I only know what I need to ;)