Sign in to follow this  
xrayspex

CDBurnerXP Unable to Generate a Windows XP Boot CD

CDBurnerXP cannot produce a correctly bootable Windows XP Boot CD by assembling the files and folders that consist of the contents of such a boot CD into an ISO image.

It doesn't work neither for XP with SP2 slipstreamed nor for XP without SP2; the same errors occur for both.

In particular, using the following CDBurnerXP Boot Settings:-

Boot Image: Microsoft Corporation.img or a copy thereof (I got mine from BCD Package)

Emulation Type: No Emulation (NT/2000/XP boot images)

Load Segment: 7C0

Sectors: 4

Platform: 80x86

Disable ISO File Delimiters: see below

No Enforce ISO Level1: ON (the default), but doesn't seem to matter

If you build the ISO image using :-

Disable ISO File Delimiters: OFF (the default)

then trying to boot from the resultant CD immediately gives the error "CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR"

However the contents of the CD are completely visible thru Windows Explorer.

If, however, you build the ISO image using :-

Disable ISO File Delimiters: ON

as has been suggested elsewhere as being the correct way

then when trying to boot from the resultant CD, it starts to boot correctly, loading all the drivers until it gets to "Setup is Starting Windows" when it crashes with a blue STOP screen saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME or PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

I can't tell in what circumstances exactly although I have experimented extensively.

It's usually the former with a standard Windows XP build; I only get the latter when I add my OEM's drivers to the build.

Moreover, the contents of the CD appear empty to Windows Explorer, with Used Space: 0 bytes.

It makes no difference if you burn the bootable CD directly from the contents or if you get CDBurnerXP to produce an ISO image first (Save Image as ISO File) and then burning that (Write Disc from ISO File); they both produce exactly the same faults.

However CDBurnerXP will produce correctly bootable CDs from ISO images generated by other packages, like BCD.

This proves that the fault lies with CDBurnerXP's generation of an ISO image from the source contents files and not with the actual writing of the CD.

So I can't find any way to get CDBurnerXP to produce correctly bootable ISO images itself. Consequently, all I can trust CDBurnerXP to do for me is to burn bootable ISO images generated by other packages. My other CD tools will do this anyway. What they don't all do is assemble the ISO image in the first place, which is why I downloaded CDBurnerXP.

Same issue here. Windows XP SP2 CD won't boot. Main reason I chose CDBurnerXP is because it seemed to be the only free burning tool that supports this feature properly.

Hope to see it function properly in next release (or is it solved already?)

I don't think this is a cdburnerxp problem.

Do you use an original windows xp install cd?

Copy ALL (hidden/system/etc) the files?

Do you extract the boot image from the original cd?

And do you integrate SP2 into the original I386 directory?

Then it's probably a cdburnerxp problem, otherwise:

it's known that BCD package 1.5 doesn't support booting from a slipstreamed SP2 cd.

The new package 2.0 should be able to boot SP2.

Take a look at: http://www.bcdwb.de/bcdw_e.html for the exact instructions.

I just created a bootable DOS CD with windows xp sp2 and started the install with winnt.exe. That works for me, the CD boots to DOS, in DOS i call smartdrv.exe (to speed up disk copying) and then i execute winnt.exe from the I386 dir.

Do you use an original windows xp install cd?

No, I did not have an original CD; that's why I wanted to create a Boot CD. I used the installed installation files in \I386 on the hard disk, as recommended in many articles.

Copy ALL (hidden/system/etc) the files?

Yes, I never hide files on my PCs.

Do you extract the boot image from the original cd?

No, I used the one supplied with the BCD package.

And do you integrate SP2 into the original I386 directory?

Yes.

it's known that BCD package 1.5 doesn't support booting from a slipstreamed SP2 cd.

I used BCD package 1.1.1 and it did successfully produce a bootable Boot CD, with SP2 slipstreamed, from exactly the same contents files as I used for CDBurnerXP.

Therefore it is a CDBurnerXP problem.

I can confirm that using advice from DANIELK on the last post, I was able to successfully create a bootable windows 2000 ISO, for use with Vmware esx server. ISO configuration is the key.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.