Sign in to follow this  

DUMP THE .MSI

Package your app anyway you see fit for distribution- but from an opinion standpoint and liking your app very much- dump the freakin' .msi installer. Why? It's junk. This isn't *your* problem, to me it's straight from ms iinstead. As you know, .msi installer packages do not simply install via a typical .exe setup- all inclusive, but extract's the contents to a temp directory, THEN runs the install from there, THEN, leave the package behind. Why is this bad? When temp directories are cleaned out, so goes the setup program. This is good, I don't need (or others) the setup program left behind, hidden via cryptic directory unlabeled names- and eating up disk space (know your app is small, take a look at what dot.net, ie, sys updates- anything ms leaves behind- or others that use .msi- eventually it adds up, I just sized in just under half a GB of stuff.) Who needs, wants, or cares about half a GB?

Ok, no biggie instead- re-grab your distro file from the archives and run again- then .msi can't find (boo-hoo, in the registry the registered- TEMP DIRECTORY? huh? idiots) the original temp directory. Apparently, the *temp* directory w/.msi took on a *new* 'meaning'- Permanent Storage. As I just did this- fix? Find the newly extracted .msi temp location, point the idiot box to it- install then runs just fine. But- until you do or can- you can't re-install. Been doing system changes, something got whacked that your app wouldn't launch, ie- why I needed to reinstall, nothing bombed care of your app. As .msi works in my opinion is simply garbage, unneccessary, and a waste of eventual disk space. But, that you could have those install files around for re-install, modify's etc- yeah, so you can also in a setup.exe script- jus' like the 'old' days. If, there's *features* in .msi that helps you? well, at the same time you probably understand this post, maybe you also don't like some of .msi's *design operation* either.

Rebel- dump the garbage .msi packaging for a standalone .exe iinstall.

sc

:firefox:

Was logged in on one tab, got posted as 'guest,' but for an edit-

> But- until you do or can- you can't re-install....

-Nor, can you uninstall. (assuming pointing out the obvious in both posts- yeah- dump the .msi if there's a choice.)

sc

Let's see, let's see- 'clusty'ing' (cool web search, no google tracking) "InnoSetup".... ahh... very nice- WHOO-HOO! outstanding. continued wished luck on your great app- cheers.

sc

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.