Program won't uninstall

Guest A Guest

Hi,

Why won't your software un-install properly?

Each time I try to un-install your software from a computer, it tries to re-install itself at the next boot. This is a big problem for us as our AUP specifies only Nero as cd burning software.

I can only assume that this is sloppy programming of the installer or that the software is up to no good.

An explanation or some help would be nice

Ta.

T

Guest A Guest

By the very fact that this post has been here for 24 hours and nobody has replied, I can only assume that you don't want your software removing and that is has another purpose.

No such thing as a free lunch as they say!

Now I am going to investigate it further and find out just what spyware/adware/malware it harbours - after all legitimate programs don't keep trying to re-install themselves, do they?

Guest Another Guest

It is possible that the reason there has been no response is because of the fact that you made your post still during the holiday weekend. I would personally expect to see a response to your post in the next 24-48 hours though as to why you're having the problems that you are uninstalling it.

Guest A Guest

The silence on this topic is deafening!

I have run a few preliminary tests on this software - latest version - and have a few questions.

1. Why do you add 8117 keys to the registry on installation and only remove 5493 on un-installation?

2. Why do you feel the need to add 40 keys to the registry on un-installation?

3. Why do you add 96 files when installing, but only remove 85 on un-install?

4. Why don't Windows console programs such as netstat work when this software is installed?

5. Original question - Why does your software not un-install properly?

A reply soon would be nice - I would like to retire before I'm 65 years old!

Reason: The uninstaller is not properly done. I don't know which version you are using, but I think the next version 3.5 does better than that. If not, feel free to complain again.

So how do I remove the older versions from our computers?

My users are NOT going to put up with software trying to re-install itself each and every time windows starts.

Your software created the problem - I suggest you find a solution!

For your information, the figures quoted on my last post were the results of an install of your LATEST version as downloaded by me earlier today!

I have a few more questions.....

1. Why do you try to modify the registry setting for Terminal Server??

2. Why do you add this registry key on un-installation?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache "@xpsp1res.dll,-11005"

Type: REG_SZ

Data: Sends and receives e-mail and newsgroup messages.

The more I look at what this software tries to do on installation and un-installation, the more suspicious of it I become!

So how do I remove the older versions from our computers?

If the automatic uninstallation doesn't work you don't have any choice other than removing it manually.

My users are NOT going to put up with software trying to re-install itself each and every time windows starts.

They don't have to. But CDBXP doesn't do this. If so, it is a problem with Windows and its Installer. Sometimes it simply doesn't work.

Your software created the problem - I suggest you find a solution!

You installed our software at your own risk.

For your information, the figures quoted on my last post were the results of an install of your LATEST version as downloaded by me earlier today!

I have a few more questions.....

1. Why do you try to modify the registry setting for Terminal Server??

2. Why do you add this registry key on un-installation?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache "@xpsp1res.dll,-11005"

Type: REG_SZ

Data: Sends and receives e-mail and newsgroup messages.

Looks like stuff being done by Windows itself.

Guest A Guest

It always amazes me that developers blame everything else except their software!

It's the installers fault or the Operating System did it, never sorry, our goof!

As to manually un-installing your software - we have 30 plus PC's with this software on.

Un-installing it from them all will take forever - especially with nearly 3000 registry entries to remove - not exactly a glowing refernce - especially when we start leaving negative comments on all the popular download sites about the problems it has caused us.

I believe my questions deserve a propper answer - not dismissive one liners!

If I had wanted to be patronised, I would have asked my mother!

Good lord...

I cannot believe how aggressive this poster is...

1. Who installed the package?

2. Who failed to perform safety checks on 'unknown' software?

3. Who *paid* for the software?

4. Who expects *support* for free?

5. Who cannot manage their installation?

6. Who is resorting to blackmail?

7. Who failed to backup their system?

A Guest - riiiight... someone who cannot even bother to contribute to the development of the product in any way.

I have MANY installshield-delivered products - and other Windows Installer based products which will not uninstall correctly - do I go crying to the software developers? No. Why not? Because my system is MY responsibility, no-one elses. If I don't backup my system, then I blame myself - not lash out at others.

If I really break my machines... hey, I rebuild them from an image. Your desktop management processes should be fit for purpose. If they are not, I suggest you employ an IT professional to review them.

Unless I am mistaken, no-one PUSHED this software onto these machines - it was installed under the licence agreement which YOU read - you did read it right?

Considering the provocation, I read all of the responses to the initial posts as being phenomenally measured and calm... I take my hat off to the moderators.

Reminds me of:

http://www.centos.org/modules/news/arti ... toryid=127

Guest A Guest

I will answer your questions in a moment.

Firstly, A Guest happens to be my name! Anthony Guest..... I'm not hiding behind some nickname, unlike you.

Secondly, respect is earned, not taken for granted.

Now to answer your questions.

1. Unknown - computers in question were inherited in a takeover.

2. I must assume it was the maintenance company used prior to our takeover.

3. Certainly not us.

4. I certainly expected something better, unless you are saying donate to the cause and we'll help you? Blackmail?

5. Same as answer 2

6. If that's what you think it is - then so be it.

7. Take your pick - answer 1, 2 or 3 whichever you think best fits.

As to the rest of your comments, whilst I agree with basic tenet of your comments, unfortunately I have inherited this problem and it is down to me to sort out. If I seem agressive, sorry, but my boss wants answers yesterday.

As to your insinuation that I am an idiot and similar to the Centos guy - wrong, I was merely reporting what was observed during our test install/un-install. Given that immediately prior to installation we took a snapshot of the registry and file system, installed the software and immediately afterwards took another snapshot for comparison. We repeated the same process, snapshot before and after for the un-install. We also did the tests on two separate machines to rule out spurious OS related changes. The results were identical.

If you or anyone else can explain it, I'd love to know.

Now am I going to get any help or not?

Guest Robert Soul

when we start leaving negative comments on all the popular download sites

...looks like blackmail

Guest A Guest

Fine, if that's your attitude, so be it.

I'll sort it myself.

I doubt I'll be back and I cretainly won't be advising people to install your software.

Try MSIzap:

You should use the MsiZap command line utility that comes with Microsoft Platform SDK. This forcefully removes the traces of an installation.

The usage is:

msizap T {product code}

or

msizap T

Getting the Product Code

You can find the product code by searching the registry for the product name and looking for the GUID.

e.g.

MsiZap T {9C3B2A82-C7D7-462F-8D98-48A7B6D889D1}

It always amazes me that developers blame everything else except their software!

I can understand your feelings very well, but I am not a developer. So any statement you get from me is rather from a user's point of view. Additional to that, it is well known (I experienced it with other software too) that Windows confuses installed programs and causes strange problems. I'm sorry that I am not of any more help, but unfortunately don't have much insight into the devlopment.

I believe my questions deserve a propper answer - not dismissive one liners!

If I got paid I would write essays just for you, but obviously everything I do (or not do) is free and voluntary.