Sign in to follow this  
Guest makebetter

Adware iMesh in CDBurnerXP

Guest makebetter

Probably the authors want to make some money since it is freeware and offers a lot. But we all are sensitive about hidden modules that we don't know about. So, it should say there is adware in case it has one.

Go to Registry and find the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\classes\clsid\{01ad9322-02ff-4f4f-ac52-92fda5ae65f0}\: 1

This is the key which belongs to iMesh - no coincidences are possible here.

Check which program is under the subkey: InprocServer32.

iMesh as a standalone software bundling such adware as MyWay, eZULA, Gator, NewDotNet, CommonName, and others.

What about the unexpected service that installs with CDBurnerXP. Check it in your Services Panel - so called NMSAccess? Where is the description of this service? What is it doing? Why it is not even "manual start", but "automatic startup" service, since CDBurnerXP is not supposed to run at all times on your computer but only when needed?

Finally, I don't remember ever seen on any front page of the website, a declaration for adware/spyware free program.

All these notes apply to the last Alpha version. I might check the last regular version later.

*yawn*

Once again, CDBurnerXP does *not* contain any spy- or adware, if you believe it or not.

What about the unexpected service that installs with CDBurnerXP. Check it in your Services Panel - so called NMSAccess? Where is the description of this service? What is it doing? Why it is not even "manual start", but "automatic startup" service, since CDBurnerXP is not supposed to run at all times on your computer but only when needed?

It gives users with restricted rights access to the CD burner, and you didn't have to enable it.

BTW, you are not the first one having theories like that. Before someone else claimed that CDBurnerXP has spyware because he noticed that an FTP library was part of it. This one was only used for the software update check though.

Feel free use the forum search bit and you will probably find the topic about spyware. Besides, if we did have spyware in it, wouldn't we delete your post instantly? ;)

Guest makebetter

Flo, thanks for being concerned site administrator replying so promptly. I am doing extensive research and when I finish I'll post again. As long as you keep answering I will continue under this topic and not open another. I will add also this - I am not some troublemaker who just downloaded the program, didn't like it because he has his favorite one and decided to write bad things on purpose. As for the FTP connection I also have noticed this item long ago, immediately checked what it is doing. Then I saw it is your update module, and went ahead without any concerns about it.

While I am finishing with my research I suggest that you meanwhile seriously review your third-party libraries where the problem lies.

Guest sngbrdb

Hey MB ~

I installed CDBXP for the first time about a week ago (love it, btw). I'm a long-time anti-spyware fanatic, have been ruthless about the stuff since about '99, long before it was blazing in the headlines.

The registry key you mention does not exist on my pc, and I did enable the service Flo mentioned to allow non-admins access to the burner.

I'm sure you've got some spyware on your system, but I'd look elsewhere for the cause... don't yell the sky is falling until you find definitive, repeatable proof to back what you're sayin', mmkay? :) I wouldn't want the CDBXP team to get a bad rep from misinformation, cause from what I can see they're got a pretty nice tool that they're making available for free, and I haven't found any spyware on my system from it yet.

Cheers!

James