Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chancek

What have you done with installer?

Guest Chancek

What have you done with installer?

It really sucks. I wanted to install CDBurner on several accounts, but there is a problem.

When I install under administrator account, and then try to run using limited user account, the program started searching for CDBurnerXP.msi file. Of course this file is not available, because the installer deletes it after finishing installation. So I have to install once again and copy .msi file before finishing installation. But I cannot use it! There is no browse button to choose the location of .msi file. The path points to the temp directory in administrator's profile folder! and cannot be changed (of course file cannot be accessed because of access restrictions). The only way is to copy to the administrator's temp directory and use cacls command to grant permissions to limited user. Or reboot in safe mode and change permissions (there's no other way to change ntfs permissions under XP home).

Why did you make it so complicated?

I have the same problem. But it's a BIG problem, in my opinion !

I tried these situations, but no one is right for use the program:

a) installation: as Admin logged as Admin

Result: if i run the program as Admin it works (obviously)

But i can't think to have to log in in Win as Admin to use it !

B) installation: logged in Win as PowerUser and run installation with the "Run As" option

Result: i cannot run CDB neither as PowerUser nor as Administrator (cause i have to be logged in Win AS Administrator)

I can't figure how other people have done to install it and use it.

I hope a bugfix will be released quickly.

There may be a simpler process than this but it worked for me so I haven't looked...

First do an admin install of setup.exe

setup.exe /a
Select a directory for installation of the MSI database (e.g. c:\cdbxppro). Now do the actual installation of cdburner. Run this command:
msiexec.exe /i c:\cdbxppro\CDBurnerXP Pro.msi ALLUSERS=1

During the install make sure to leave the all users option checked.

That should work, however, before doing this I did try to make the admin temp folder open (r/w) to everyone. This may have caused it to work, but I suspect not. Maybe someone else can post a reply to confirm this.

Thanks a lot for your tip !

Your method works, and i think it's the only way to make CDB can be used by all users, because the v.2.2.9 doesn't work as expected, exacly as the previous 2.2.8.

I really hope that version 3.0 will finally have a better setup for intalling CDB for ALL USERS.