Sign in to follow this  
ruudboek

Windows Explorer context menu items for CDburnerXP 4.0

It would be great if it would be possible to enable an option to have context menu items (right mouseclick menu in windows explorer) available for CDburnerXP 4.0.

The burning program Burn4free does have these available and are very convenient in my opinion:

mode4_big.gif

For the case that this gets implemented and the devs choose to do this via a context menu shell extension: don't use .net for this task.

Writing shell extensions using .net is unsupported by Microsoft and can lead to strange failures. The reason is that there can't exist 2 versions of the .net runtime in the same process, but the shell extension is loaded into processes, that e. g. display a open file dialog. So if application A uses .net 1.1 and displays a open file dialog, the context menu shell extension would be loaded and if this extension makes use of .net 2.0, the result is unpredictable.

I'm writing this warning because I'm following the Microsoft shell newsgroups/forums and few developers know that it's a really bad idea to use .net for shell extensions. The reason might be that in the early days of .net Microsoft promoted .net for shell extensions (until they realized that it's a bad idea).