How do I create ISOs from Torrents?

I'm trying to move to Slackware, and right now I have Windows XP Pro SP2. I actually have to keep Win-Doze, also for the time being because of my data and school, so this will be a dual-boot system for now (but I want to use Linux for everything except school).

* No way do I want to use floppies. Slackware CD-images are available as torrents, and they don't have instructions on burning.

* I notice that if you try to burn an ISO (via "Save as ISO"), and make it bootable, you need to use a "boot image" which is "DosBootimage.IMA"....Should I be using that even though I'm installing Linux???

But if you "burn from ISO", it expects the CD ISO image to have an ".iso" extension, but these have "torrent" extension.

* If you try to "convert ISO image", it only takes 2 proprietary formats as input.

What do I do? Just rename the files? Then just burn?

I assume these ISO images are bootable the way they are, too. So,do I NOT have to worry about "make CD bootable" because of this? (Will it be bootable automatically, because these are supposedly bootable ISO files, or at least disk 1 is, which is the Linux installation disk).

But if you "burn from ISO", it expects the CD ISO image to have an ".iso" extension, but these have "torrent" extension.

I suggest that you find out how to use BitTorrent and how to download torrent files first ;)

Hint: use Āµtorrent

I suggest that you find out how to use BitTorrent and how to download torrent files first ;)

Hint: use Āµtorrent

I already downloaded the torrents. The download page was linked directly from the Slackware website. What to do now?

I don't know why someone wouldn't just tell me a torrent wasn't a file. That would have been polite.

Anyway, I found out BitTorrent is a file-sharing program, and I installed a client and downloaded a couple of files. I am sorry I did! Even though I'm not dumb enough to turn off my firewall to increase download speeds (some people do), I got a virus-infected Slackware ISO. This after spending 5 hours on each "download". I was even nice enough to "super-seed" the 1st ISO before downloading the 2nd one myself.

My antivirus caught it, but it froze my computer for 45 minutes...That's how long it took me to close the client, close Taskmanager (which also stopped responding) and be able to access the Taskbar on the Desktop! The antivirus couldn't move it to the chest because of the file type, and I couldn't even delete or rename the file manually until after I closed everything else and was able to click on and close the antivirus alert window...until then, Windows kept telling me the file was in use for another program.

Have a cable modem and hit the power button in the meantime. Luckily it couldn't execute on its own so nothing spread. I scanned all my parttitions and no viruses.

I AM NEVER USING BITTORRENT AGAIN! What a bunch of scumbags!

I lucked out and found a mirror that had ISOs for download via FTP, HTTP, etc (plus torrents)...mirrors with ISOs were not linked to the Slackware site, so I thought I had to use torrents.

For any other interested persons, here is the link:

http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/slackware-10.2-iso/

The crazy thing is, even this webmaster says that people use torrents "if you're smart". Why? BitTorrent downloads take anywhere from several hours or longer even if you adjust your settings (more than a day for people without cable)! For the record, my first BitTorrent download took "only" 4 hours, though the client said it would take 11. But still! Over HTTP Disk 1 takes slightly over 2 hours on cable.

Why would anyone use BitTorrent? You'd think the only reason anyone would want to use it woudl be if no mirrors are available. DON'T USE BITTORRENT!

Guest chilly-willy

it seems to me that you know nothing on downloading and using torrents.I'm sure the iso you downloaded was ok and it got infected with some malware after you downloaded it.Anyway it doesn't matter how you got the iso you could check it's integrity by checking it's md5sum.If you don't know what md5sum is use google.The downloads via torrent are very safe if the original file is clean because the torrent client checks the file(using some checksums)in order to be sure the file you got is the same file the torrent creator uploaded and it doesn't load so much the server which hosts the file(the case with http or ftp).If you want ton switch to linux you should try a friendlier distro like PCLinuxOS or Kubuntu because Slackware is for people who know something about computers and linux and you will get soon discouraged and probably give up.

I don't know why someone wouldn't just tell me a torrent wasn't a file. That would have been polite.

Well, a torrent is a file, just not the file you wanted to have ;)

Anyway, I found out BitTorrent is a file-sharing program, and I installed a client and downloaded a couple of files. I am sorry I did! Even though I'm not dumb enough to turn off my firewall to increase download speeds (some people do), I got a virus-infected Slackware ISO. This after spending 5 hours on each "download". I was even nice enough to "super-seed" the 1st ISO before downloading the 2nd one myself.

So far I had only positive experiences with BT. The speed is not necessary faster than usual downloads (rather slower), but you usually have no problems getting the file you want. There also is a big variety of frontends for BT, so it is a pleasure for me to use. So I'd always recommend BT if the direct download servers are to slow or not available, but ISO images for Linux distributions can usually be faster downloaded per FTP and afaik there are also a lot of mirrors.

it seems to me that you know nothing on downloading and using torrents.I'm sure the iso you downloaded was ok and it got infected with some malware after you downloaded it.Anyway it doesn't matter how you got the iso you could check it's integrity by checking it's md5sum.If you don't know what md5sum is use google.The downloads via torrent are very safe if the original file is clean because the torrent client checks the file(using some checksums)in order to be sure the file you got is the same file the torrent creator uploaded and it doesn't load so much the server which hosts the file(the case with http or ftp).If you want ton switch to linux you should try a friendlier distro like PCLinuxOS or Kubuntu because Slackware is for people who know something about computers and linux and you will get soon discouraged and probably give up.

Please keep your sarcasm to yourself!

Excuse me, I know plenty about computers, and I did not have any malware except this file...I deleted it, all malware is gone. No way I can do an md5sum when the file is 99% complete! My computer completely froze because the file was infected...if you read my post, it took me 45 minutes to even be able to do anything about it!

Nothing is "safe"...anyone can get cracked or infected...some are just more likely than others, and I think being on a network where a bunch of people have their firewall (and probably AV, too) off, downloading the same infected file at the same time, is not safe. All it takes is 1 smart cracker to figure a way around the security and upload an infected version of the iso (and sit on their butt lauging about it, probably while being a truant from school).

People "invent" security, people can break it. 'nuff said. I'm not going to connect to a p2p protocol where probably half the people don't care because they don't pay for the software on their computer, anyway...they pirate it...all they do is stay home all day and play pirated video games and listen to pirated music. Why do you think they remove links to torrent sites from the torrent client forums?

Was it my imagination, or did 1 such user berate another on the torrent client forums just in the last few days for having a job because the person couldn't spend all day every day figuring out why their download speed was so slow?

"Easy" Linux? Yeah, right! Tell me another one! I had one of those "easy" linuxes...it was easy until you tried to untar a file, because none of the standard commands worked, there was no standard, popular shell like Bash, the OS manual did not tell you much more than how to find files, there were no man pages for the shells that were installed, ect. ect.

For crying out loud, even Win-Doze is friendlier than that! No thank you! Knoppix, Slackware, stable systems with popular packages...that's "easy" Linux. Gentoo not so easy because it's package-management system is not dependable, unfortunately. Maybe I should give 2.6 a try, but I just don't have the time right now...and I don't see how Slackware is less flexible, quite frankly.

boot into safe mode, get rid of the virii if possible, at least clean things up a bit

additionally, bittorrent is just the main name (being that it was first and creator) of the whole thing associate with those little *.torrent files

you find the right torrent file, you use a client like utorrent / azureus to download the file that the torrent was created for

this is a bad analogy but who cares ... the torrent is like sheet music, while the file you download is the actual music, you don't want to just maintain a collection of sheet music, without ever hearing it's music (unless you are odd and then my whole screwed up analog gets rammed up my own rectum)

bottomline, you download torrent, u use torrent file in bittorrent client, together it download what you want

if what you want is an iso file, then you need a program to burn the iso file not as the whole file, but as all the data contained within

iso is like a zip file, a compressed version of a whole lot of crap... except that most cd burning application use it, because it is the standard image file type for whole discs of information

i know that wasn't explained 3rd grade enough for you, but at least it makes me feel better that I schooled you (a little bit)... and didn't even need to be clever, intelligent, or use proper spelling and grammar