Sign in to follow this  
elpirla

open source burning software: InfraRecorder

I was hopelessly looking for news about the development of cdburnerxp and burnatonce, and puntually finding none, when I stumbled upon a link on the burnatonce forums of a new sourceforge project called InfraRecorder.

the homepage is http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

and seems to be an excellent software. I didn't have time to test it very much, but it seems well designed and actively developed.

I hope it is good news to the many of you who are tired of waiting forever.

Regards.

I've also seen it already, and yes - it is nicely done. I'm interested to see how it will emerge.

However, the developers promised a new version and it is more likely to come soon now since I already got two test versions. Once the last few bugs are resolved you can finally download it :)

With all the empty promises they've given so far, don't place your hope too high up until they've actually release a new version of CDBurnerXPwhich btw is long overdue...

Guest bukin

Everyone knows that developing software takes time, but the last software update release promised by CDBurnerXP was donkey years ago.

But, you can use CDBXPP and pay no money. The developer has their own life. If you don´t like it, it is your problem, but don´t be so aggressive against developer. Take it easy. Its their´s software and their´s property. So they may really do with it everything they want. Do you understand?

But, you can use CDBXPP and pay no money. The developer has their own life. If you don´t like it, it is your problem, but don´t be so aggressive against developer. Take it easy. Its their´s software and their´s property. So they may really do with it everything they want. Do you understand?

Nobody is being aggresive / bitching here, i'm just stating facts.

In fact, i've even donated cash to CDBurnerXP to help in their development. And just FYI, i've long since stop using CDBurnerXP and is now a happy user of InfraRecorder and they're able to keep to the ETA dates they've stated in their Roadmap section.

When they're unable to release the software on the said date, they'll even go thru the trouble of typing a few words of explaination in the News section as to why so which you won't see the auther of CDBurnerXP doing so...

We'll never have a roadmap (at least no date based). The problem with roadmaps is, that you'll either don't take all the time you need to fix the most important bugs or you won't stick to the schedule*, yet both is not wanted. Also, there is no point in setting dates. What benefits do you get? None.

This says it all:

"The bitterness of poor quality lasts much longer than the sweetness of meeting the schedule."

Another problem of course is, having no releases at all. We certainly didn't want that but you can't buy time from donations. Let's just hope that we'll have frequent releases in the future.

* (or of course, your software is perfectly stable and your estimations are always correct which is highly unlikely)

Guest Lazzap

Hi,

I agree with Flo regarding the time schedules. I have been an application programmer for seven years and the word "schedule" became a large part of my life ... Necessary in the business sector, as going away from deadlines means loosing money, BUT the developer is not just a person that hits some keys on the keyboard ... He has to think, to evaluate the situation and to use his imagination to write that piece of software being asked ... Programming is an artistic work for me and I do not care how that sounds to others!!! But I believe it is the same for the guys developing CDBurnerXP pro ... Why should they have a schedule? Are they being paid too much about their work? Do they have any obligation to us? Any contract? Or do they get rich through the donations? I do not think so! They do it because they like it! So thank them for their generosity to give away their app for free! Regarding the application, it's perfect ... The application performs much faster in my laptop than all the other commercial apps I had till now and is to be installed on my desktop as well ... Keep the app simple and lightweight, that's the best combination !!!

Kind regards,

Lazzap

It's still too buggy for me, and I find no way of importing a previous session on a dvd-rw.

CDBXP rulez, except for the 4.2 gb limitation (btw, is it for ISO image files or even for data dvd projects?)