Sign in to follow this  
LiLa

Burning with ReplayGain: effect on audio data or tags only?

Hello everybody,

first of all, I am fond of CDBurnerXP, it has so many functions but still is simple and lightweight. Thanks and respect! :)

Now, slightly shocked by enormous volume differences in a freshly created audio cd, I´ve got some questions on Replay Gain that I haven´t been able to find reliable answers for.

1) In KB 97 it is said: (about attaching RG info tags to files):

There are various tools which allow you to do that. I'll use foobar2000 in this tutorial.
Can anyone name another tool? I don´t want to buy Nero just to use foobar in order to feed CD Burner XP...

2) Then I don´t really understand: on the one hand, it is said that

If you attach Replay Gain information to a number of files, a RG-compatible audio player will be able to play them all at the same volume. (...) The audio data itself is not altered by this method, so it is completely reversible.
OK, but this is still the part before burning.

Then, on the other hand, when it comes to burning:

If one of the two lower options is set, CDBurnerXP will apply the volume change to all files (if RG information is present) before burning them to disc.
What is meant by "apply"? Just the copying of the RG tags, or does CD Burner XP modify the audio data itself so that every player (even a normal standalone hifi cd player on your stereo) will play it all in a volume-normalised mode?

I have heard of a tool named mp3 Gain, which does alter the actual audio data, so perhaps this is the way to go for me? i want to play my burnt CDs not on my computer, but on my stereo, in the car and so forth.

Best,

LiLa

Can anyone name another tool? I don´t want to buy Nero just to use foobar in order to feed CD Burner XP...

Who said that you need Nero in order to use foobar2000?

What is meant by "apply"? Just the copying of the RG tags, or does CD Burner XP modify the audio data itself so that every player (even a normal standalone hifi cd player on your stereo) will play it all in a volume-normalised mode?

The audio data itself will be changed. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense ;)

Who said that you need Nero in order to use foobar2000?

OK, sorry, I must have mixed it up with a different thing. It seems that you need Nero if you want to burn CDs with foobar, which I do not want to anyway. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar2000 or http://www.netzwelt.de/news/71715-tutorial-audio-cds-brennen-mit-foobar2000.html or http://www.fooblog2000.com/components

The audio data itself will be changed. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense ;)

Well, it would still make sense if you play the burnt CDs on plyers with ReplayGain support only (Software player, or some new portable devices).

But great to hear that CDBurnerXP can "translate" the RP info tags into audio data modification.

Thank you!

Well that was my question above, does it merely include RG tags or does it transform the actual audio data according to the RG tags. Perhaps I wasn´t clear enough.

OK, then I will have to use a third tool. I think "mp3gain" does what I meant.

Thanks for specifying :)

I think you still didn't understand if you see the need for third party tools. So let's start over:

Replay Gain information has to be generated and attached to files by third party tools like foobar2000. Information can only be attached to files which support it, as tags.

Using this information to actually adjust the volume is a different story. Players like foobar2000 recognise the tags and then adjust the volume "on-the-fly". However, if you burn audio files as audio CD, all tags (in particular, the RG information) is lost. So for actually being useful, CDBurnerXP supports modifying the original audio files (as temporary copy of course) and actually changes the volume of the tracks (instead of the speakers). Then the change will be noticable on any device which plays the track.

CDBurnerXP supports modifying the original audio files (as temporary copy of course) and actually change the volume of the tracks (instead of the speakers). Then the change will be noticable on any device which play the track.

This is what I meant with:

But great to hear that CDBurnerXP can "translate" the RP info tags into audio data modification.
It reads th RG info tags and adjusts the volume accordingly when burning audio discs.

I think I was expressing my thoughts not clear enough, and got confused when you denied the above mentioned line. Anyway... I am delighted that the programme does what I meant. ;)

Guest trl_path

Just to check -

If I burn an audio disc from MP3 files using the replaygain option on CDBurnerXP does the program add the RG information to the MP3 files so it will still be attached to those files after the burning process, or are the original mp3 files left unchanged and the replaygain information added to temporary copies?

Sorry, just wanted to make sure.