[C] support for m4a files

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll second this request. Most of my music collection on my computer has been ripped from cds into m4a format, or sometimes aac, and then when I come to make up mix CDs it's extremely frustrating that I can't add those files.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest Brak

It's unfortunate that you guys haven't seen fit to include support for one of the more widely used audio formats. Now I have to go find a different CD burning program that's not stuck in the 1990s.

Current status: M4A or rather MP4 usually contains AAC encoded audio. Since this is patented (= we have to pay for it if we want to use it within our application), we cannot use it. Technically, it wouldn't be a big deal.

• 2 months later...

some of you might know a game called AudioSurf.

I just found out that the game supports m4a(AAC) files only if Quicktime or iTunes is installed.

Does this mean that the game uses Quicktime or iTunes to play the music files?

Could it be possible to do the same here?

thanks again

• 1 month later...
Current status: M4A or rather MP4 usually contains AAC encoded audio. Since this is patented (= we have to pay for it if we want to use it within our application), we cannot use it. Technically, it wouldn't be a big deal.

What about adding support for aac by requiring the user to download the aac decoder themselves. Besweet comes to mind. Besweet supports aac only after the user downloads the nero aac encoder and decoder and places them in the besweet directory. That way cdburnerxp is not distributed with an aac decoder and not required to pay licensing fees.

Somewhat complicated. Both for me and users ;)

haha. its the developers job to make it easy and mine to make it sound easy :D but seriously, with the proliferation of aac, i would think there must be some way for the program to support it. I even saw a poll on this forum where aac was the most requested format that was not already in the program.

• 2 months later...
Just like in Audacity you need to download lame_enc.dll to be able to import and export MP3.

Here we(the user) could download FAAD2 to import AAC.

i really dont see why this is so difficult. have a folder in the cdbxp folder called "aacDecoderGoesHere." If someone tries to add a mp4 or m4a file to an audio cd compilation and the decoder is not in the folder, popup a box with a link to download faad2 or nero and tell them to put it in the folder. Give the people what they want!

• 3 weeks later...

i really dont see why this is so difficult. have a folder in the cdbxp folder called "aacDecoderGoesHere." If someone tries to add a mp4 or m4a file to an audio cd compilation and the decoder is not in the folder, popup a box with a link to download faad2 or nero and tell them to put it in the folder. Give the people what they want!

Agreed.

M4A = MP4 = AAC they are all the same thing.

Any news about the implementation?

Thanks

• 4 months later...
Guest newbe

I am a new to this program and after using it for the first time, I already recommended it to several of my friends. Unfortunately, most of them were quite disappointed, as it does not support AAC (MPEG2 & MPEG4) format. I wasn't aware of its popularity, as I primarily use MP3 files. At any rate, It would be a great addition to the product if it would support this format, in any way possible (decoder included or suggested as an optional download). Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...