Sign in to follow this  
Guest Helen

Help! Data disappeared

Guest Helen

I added a new file to a RW disc and now there seems to be no data on the disc at all! The old data has gone - how can this have happened, and the new file can't be seen in eplorer, but the software does show the new file on the disc. What have I done wrong, and can I recover the original data?

OK! First of all don't panic! Did you import the previous session (From the menu Disk-> Import Session..) or did you simply add the file? If you didn't import you wrote new data on the disk without erasing the contents previously. If you did the procedure (I'm sorry) you probably lost the data!

Try inserting the CD and import the session now! It might work, revealing what is already there! (Note you might lose the file you added afterwards) I'm not sure this will work but you could try! I can't think of anything else! Tell how it goes...

Guest Helen

Hi, thanks for your suggestions. I 'think' i imported the previous session when I re-opened the disc (I remember seeing the files I'd previously saved to the disc showing in the top box). I then 'added' the new file and burned. I've tried to open the session again, but it just shows the newly added file. However, when using Explorer to view the disc no files are found! Any other ideas?

I'm wandering how much free space the program shows that your disk has. If the total free space + the file's volume equals the total capacity of the disk, I think the data is lost! On the other hand if it missing space turns up then the data is still there, though for the time being they are unaccessible. Let me think a while! Are you in a hurry?

Hi again! I searched and found these 2, shareware

http://www.smart-projects.net/cdrecovery.php

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobusterdownload.php

They both claim that they can recover files from lost sessions. (I haven't tried them)!

They are relatively small in download size (2-3 Mb), so I think there is your solution. Let the experts do the job!

I'm wandering how much free space the program shows that your disk has. If the total free space + the file's volume equals the total capacity of the disk, I think the data is lost! On the other hand if it missing space turns up then the data is still there, though for the time being they are unaccessible. Let me think a while! Are you in a hurry?

At the bottom of the CD Burner programme it says:

Joliet with 0 folders and 1 file

On disc: 116.52mb

Total Estimated size: 117.27mb

Remaining size: 585.55mb

Thanks for suggsetion about CD recovery - we tried that, but it says there is no data on the disc to recover :(